Fuel Pump Relay

Hello,

The fuel pump on my 1990 DD6 failed some weeks ago.
After consulting this forum as well as the ‘no start trouble shooting’ guide, I decided to replace the main pump and fuel pump relays. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate the latter, neither on the radiator rail nor on the firewall. According to the guide, the fuel pump relay should be on the firewall and has white, black, white/purple and white/green wiring with relay socket nr. 0332014113. There is a relay at this location but has white, black, black/purple and black/green wiring with relay socket nr. 033204101.
I’d much appreciate some guidance/clarification/help. Thanks.

Ben
Zürich,
Switzerland

Ben,

According to page 2F07R of my copy of the “Jaguar Parts Catalogue for the XJ12 Series 3 and Daimler Double Six Series 3, RTC9886CD of May 1984” the Fuel Pump Relay (AGU1068) is located on that relay bracket at the front of the engine above the radiator along with the red Fan Relay (DAC 1028) and the Main Relay (AGU1070). The attached picture shows what those relays look like in my Canadian market 1990 V12 Vanden Plas, essentially the same as your Daimler Double Six except for some trim and badging differences

I do most of the work on my Jaguars, and the aftermarket Fuel Pump relay that was in my car failed a few years ago prompting me to research the relays and replace the aftermarket ones with OEM relays. This is my Concours car so authenticity of the parts is important otherwise the Judges can deduct points for aftermarket or otherwise non-authentic parts.

Perhaps the “guide” you used was for the XJ6 and not the XJ12 cars. I also own, drive, and work on two Series III XJ6s and there are many significant differences between the I6 and V12 cars in addition to the obvious engine differences.

I have copies of the Parts Catalogues for all my Jaguars, in addition to the available Electrical Guides, Repair Operations Manuals and Owner Manuals. I can usually sort out mysteries like this pretty quickly with the help of those manuals. They have saved me lots of money and lots of time over the past 17 years or so and I consider them essential to own for anyone who works on their own cars, or who wants to know more about what their shops are doing and why.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas
1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible
1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

[quote=“Ben591, post:1, topic:351577, full:true”]
According to the guide, the fuel pump relay should be on the firewall and has white, black, white/purple and white/green wiring [/quote]

Those are the color codes for the 4.2 6-cylinder pump relay wiring

That’s the feedback inhibit relay…according to my notes for my '88 V12 Series III

[quote]
I’d much appreciate some guidance/clarification/help. Thanks.[/quote]

Look for a relay with pink/black, brown, orange, and brown/slate wires

Cheers
DD

And the pic that Paul has shared agrees with my car as well, by the way. It does seem that you’re in the wrong guide.

Cheers
DD

Changing both the pump and the fuel relay seems a bit of overkill, Ben - normally it would be one or the other, depending on test results…:slight_smile:

As Doug and Paul says; you are using the wrong wiring guide, and possibly looked in the wrong place. Now look at the fuel pump wire; the colour there will be reflected on the relay. Seemingly Jaguar, contrary to their usual practice, changed the wire colours for the fuel relay - colours described doesn’t fit to the V12 85 wiring diagrams…:slight_smile:

But if the pump runs it is no need to replace the relay - and the only test for a running pump is fuel pressure. And if you have replaced the pump and that is still not running - then look for the relay…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks for the very helpful feedback from you all.
Indeed, on closer examination of the guide shows it is specifically for 4.2 Lt models…I was assuming that the configuration would be identical…alas not :\ … will get hold of an appropriate service manual shortly.
Will let you know how I get on.

Kind regards,

Ben

Didn’t think I’d be back so soon.
Replaced the socket on the fuel pump relay and then she fired straight up.
It’s great just what a little informed advice can do.
Thanks again to you all.
Regards,
Happy bunny.

Mark,

I am glad to be able to help you through this problem and it is nice to see your DD6 started again.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Ditto:

It worked out. As good as tt gets!!!

But, just to haunt you. I should not post this!!! I can’t resist!

The connector was just fine. A few removal/ replace cycles clean the contacts and it works again. I wonder how many good parts have been tossed, when the issue was fixed in the remove replace cycle???

Enjoy !!!

Carl…

I have a 86 xj that womt crank over

Terry,
I see that you are new to Jag-Lovers. Welcome!

From your profile I see that your XJ6 had the original Jaguar engine removed and a Chevy 350 engine installed.

Your car is now different from the cars discussed on this list. The original post that you replied to was regarding a Jaguar V12 equipped Daimler Double Six, again a car that is very different from yours.

Jag-Lovers has a separate forum for cars like yours that have had the original engine removed and replaced with a non-Jaguar engine. I recommend that you post a new email on the Jag-Lovers Lumps list where cars like yours are discussed.

Paul

As Paul says - you then should consult the other forum. However, ‘no crank’ requires basically the same actions irrespective of car type - the parts involved may differ, as may their positions.

Flat battery, fault in ignition key, starter relay, starter solenoid, starter itself - or simply bad connections. Including the earth straps between chassis and engine gearbox…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Aye, my lump retains all the original Jaguar circuitry to crank the engine. And the GM starter is similar in architecture to the Jaguar unit.

Although the tin jaguar starter relay is replaced with a generic Bosch unit. Same pins, same function.

Fail to crank diagnostic path would be alike.

But, come on over to the L:ump place, it has been a bit lonely there…

Carl.