1.5 xke OTS - No compression

Sometime back, I posted regarding a sudden stop to my new motor - After going through everything I could think of - I checked the compression (it seem like the engine was spinning to easily), and sure enough, I had almost no compression - what had happen, the intake cam shaft lost its timing. What was very interesting, the cam timing plates did not match the timing sprocket - the cam sprockets have very small teeth - The timing plates had very large teeth - No one had ever seen these plates before - anyway, no valve damage - all is good - Midnight

1 Like

I believe I have the same sprocket set-up on my Series II as you explained. Mine have not slipped, but maybe I should have converted them upon this last rebuild. I do not know for what period this cost cutting option was used? My car a 1970, keeping my fingers crossed.
Glenn

My engine is newly rebuilt with some upgrade modification - I believe the additional torque caused the slip - mine, when you held them up to the light, you could see that none of the teeth meshed - It was only a matter of time before they failed - I got very lucky with no valve damage - I would get rid of them - Midnight

Good morning Glenn,
In answer to your question:
http://www.georgiajag.com/Documents/Camshafts.html
Kindest regards,
LLynn

NO valve damage???
I hope you realize how close that is…
LLoyd

Society has discovered discrimination as the great social weapon by which one may kill men without any bloodshed.
Hannah Arendt

1 Like

I cannot understand how it’s possible for the adjuster to slip more than a few teeth without ending up with major valve damage…

Regards,
Ray L.

2 Likes

It’s a design feature! It slips one tooth at a time, and the point at which piston-valve interference happens is JUST AFTER the point at which cylinder compression drops so low that the engine stops running. It also helps to have lived a completely righteous life…This is the second such case reported on Jag-Lovers in the past couple of years. We must be a clean living bunch… :grinning:.

1 Like