100 point concours winner

1961 E-type Coupe was just hammered sold at the Gooding & Co. Monterey auction for $565,000, (not including buyer’s premium). Can you guys spot and glaring repro and non original parts parts…why has it been a multiple 100 point concours winner…xkedata has it as a $400k restoration https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1961-jaguar-e-type-fixed-head-coupe/

It seems that any car that has a concours mark of 98.5 or above rounds it up to 100 for sale purposes!

I am also wary of any car advertised that has lots of exterior shots, a few interior but only a couple of the engine bay and none of the underside.

2 Likes

Painted logo on spinners?
John

Console trim from what I can see. Front and rear lenses, steering wheel

Regional JCNA shows may have inexperienced judges who, rather than knowing the cars intimately, have been given a quick course and a list of common omissions to watch for.

Since many of the judges will have their own cars in the event and, as I recall, they are prohibited from judging a group that includes their own car so you end up with a judge assessing cars they know much less about.

Glossy magazines are no better in many cases - just saw one that featured the E-Type and the cover photo was a close up of a knock-off spinner. Yeah, a repro.

FTFY.

20 characters.

I have to say, despite minor nits that most people would never catch, those are the most perfectly aligned bumpers I have ever seen period. Not even a hint of angle or tilt. I’ve spent many, many hours on mine and they’re close but basically look like someone struggling to not to show an expression. These are perfectly expressionless. :expressionless:

That’s odd though because the 61 OTS at the RM Sotheby auction apparently failed to make reserve. The estimate that previously showed was 400-500k so the reserve must have been in that range

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo19/monterey/lots/r0101-1961-jaguar-e-type-series-1-38-litre-roadster/787952

They had a 61 non-OBL FHC with an even lower reserve and it didn’t sell either. The 65 and 67 have no reserve

https://rmsothebys.com/en/home/lots/mo19#?SortBy=Default&SearchTerm=jaguar&Category=All%20Categories&IncludeWithdrawnLots&Auction=MO19&OfferStatus=All%20availability&AuctionYear=&Model=Model&Make=Make&FeaturedOnly=false&StillForSaleOnly=false&Collection=All%20Lots&WithoutReserveOnly=false&Day=All%20Days&CategoryTag=All%20Categories&page=1&pageSize=40

For that amount of $$$ I would have expected the sight lines down the side of the car to be flawless- they aren’t, at least not on the right side I looked at. Maybe the early OBL cars are getting that rare???

1. Yes John, Repro ‘JACUAR’ (as against JAGUAR) spinners with paint
  2. Wrong bumper rubber - it should be much thinner
  3. Wrong rear view mirror stem - should be pointed rather than curved
  4. Brake bottle caps should be NIVOCODE with vertical connectors

Front side light lenses are the correct early fluted version though. Oh for more photos of the engine bay, bulkhead and underside!

For that price I would have hoped for an original key fob.

Is that the later run in sticker?
What color are the sugar scoops?
The nose looks a little high to me.
Just an sii guy so I’m asking.

I knew one chief judge, I’ll not name the city or affiliated club, who argued, rightfully so IMO, that there are no 100 point cars. No car was /is perfectly restored.

I recall judging one E-type at a Championship Challenge that had scored more than one 100 point score with an almost dime sized paint chip behind the rear wheel below the bumper. I deducted for that chip and the owner was less than happy that I did so.

I can find no justification for that price $626,500 after fees! However its perfect history of ownership and in the hands of two highly respected collectors gives the car some celebrity value. An intangible thing but a provenance unlikely to be duplicated so the car unique besides the obvious desirability of early OSB cars. It was an earthquake in Jag circles when Mike Mueller sold the car. Don’t know how much that’s worth but obviously a lot.
pauls

I saw this car before restoration and after and I, too, was surprised by the spinners. You would think they would have found originals. When I viewed it along with the owner’s other cars he said it was the only car he didn’t drive.

Simple. Someone was willing to pay that much. :smile: I’m not trying to be argumentative or contrary but I think that’s justification enough.

1 Like

Actually two people were prepared to pay almost that much. There is always an under-bidder.

For JCNA scoring purposes the parts don’t have to be original - they need to be “authentic” in appearance. Except for XK120’s cars are not judged based on serial numbers and production dates, but rather on broad strokes - a 1971 E Type should not have closed headlights. People make too much of JCNA scoring. It started out as a club function - something to do at a Jaguar meet. Some seem to think it’s a gold standard, and admittedly some of the current thinking in JCNA has contributed to that. It simply cannot be what some want it to be. Non E Type experts judge E Types - why - individual clubs from which the judges are picked simply don’t have members who are experts on every model. And then they are given 15 minutes to do the job - which often includes doing equipment checks, marking a complex score sheet, explaining authenticity deductions to owners, and finally entering their own particulars on the score sheet. And yes there are 100 point cars - but within the confines by which cars are judged. There is no other club that I’m aware of that does this - that is judge cars for authenticity on the field. It is all done for internal JCNA competition and consumption - some would turn it into a sales tool. If a car has consistently scored highly at multiple shows you can be sure it’s both highly authentic, clean and in exceptionally good condition (from an appearance point) but it may not be absolutely correct in every detail.

1 Like

And that is the sad upshot of a $626K price tag - this car will never again be used as intended.

It has become something else.

3 Likes

That car only sold for this kind of money because 2 millionaires were showing off for their girlfriends. Nothing more. This is why I don’t place much credence in auction prices.

In the same month recently 2 restored MGTC’s sold at auction for $17K and $100+K at different auctions. Neither sold for it’s proper value.

Terry,
I was chief judge for the Michigan club for over 20 years and our S1 E-Type judges were highly trained and reputation was such that one car in our region, that had scored numerous perfect scores, never brought his car here or to the national meet in Indy in 07 maybe figuring that our judges would be there and they were. Perhaps he wasn’t “cherry picking” but it are looked that way to me.

3 Likes

885018 shortly after being sold by Mueller and before restoration:

1 Like