120, Setting curtains, need a look

If they were painted, I’d wait til later, but because they’re in chrome I’ve got to do all the bending and cursing now.

Now that I’ve got the doors set, I’m diving into the side curtains.

Check the fit of the curtain to the door. I’ve got a pile of washers simulating the trim and door panels but it still looks like these are way too far from the outer door skin. Both sides are about the same. I don’t want to screw with this while fitting the top later.

Thanks.

If yours is a steel car, you have to consider the 1/8" ply tack strip, the 1/16" leather of the cockpit surround, the 1/8" door panel card, the 1/8" door panel vinyl trim/padding and the chrome washer. i am currently doing the same job on an alloy car and have found it is best to trim the door as material thickness effect the fit. Also, make sure you have the correct side screens as there are 4 styles

1 Like

Steel, 53. They came with the car and are the correct color according to the Heritage Cert.

would agree with XKSS best way is do trial trim up of door although if its all original no reason why it shouldn’t just fit!
Even when done there will be soome contact between outside paint and inside of side curtain ie they touch.
Interested in XKSS comments
on an XK120 I assume 3 types
maybe alloy 120 could be sale as early steel 120?
early steel body 120
late Steel body 120
then the XK140 type

Terry,
I was recently sent an original alloy side curtain from Jim at JK Restorations. It is definitely different than the early steel car. Height is the same but shorter and the hooks are different. I am currently making 2 pair. When fitting his original to #670088, I noticed the chrome rod closely follows the line of the piping but is not touching anywhere.

I think I’ll leave them til last in the process, at least til after the W/S and top are on.