140 rear spring shackles

I’ve started the process of fitting my new Owen rear springs. I have Coventry Auto’s spring fitting kit, which has the required spacers etc. but also has two Metalastik-type bushes for the shackle. I’m sure when I removed the old springs that they had simple rubber bushes in them, but I may be mis-remembering this… do the new bushes press into the shackles as an interference fit? Not sure that’s going to be straightforward…

Hi Roger…just done this on my 150…if youve painted the shackles make sure there is no paint inside…then some copaslip on metal bush and insjde shackle and use a press to press them in…my other recent post shows the problem i had refitting the new springs. …the bush eye/eye measurement was less than the chassis mount points so had to compress the spring bow to make them longer to fit…Steve

Thanks Steve, I’ll give the shackles a good clean out (some mild overspray in there!) and have a look. I’ll measure the shackles and bores first as I’m finding too many companies these days are selling metric equivalents or similar, and I don’t want to be pressing anything over, say, 3thou oversize into a cast/forged shackle.

I followed your thread with interest and some trepidation, but the Owen springs look like they will just bolt up without any drama. Of course, this might mean they’re too long…

I’ve got the CA fitting kit with the thick washers and bush casing spacers, so that should work OK, I hope. This thing might even be sitting on wheels by the weekend. Except that MWS still have the wheels because they have no stock of spoke sealant and can’t fit the tyres. Brexit, Covid, whatever - the world has stopped functioning!

Hi Roger…what are “Owen” springs…got my springs from BCC…British made from British steel and have the inter leaf insert…if you do run into problems fitting the springs then ket me know as since doing mine i found what looks like an eadier way to compress tbe spring to legthen it…Steve

Hi Steve,

They’re up in Rotherham. Seem to have a pretty good reputation, I’ve used them before and been very impressed. IIRC, mine came from Coventry Auto.

I don’t have the advantage of a lift - my under-car access is a pit, so nowhere to pull a spring down to. I was going to clamp the spring to a solid metal bar to straighten it if necessary - but I don’t think it is.

Roger

Hi Roger…Interesting…I just spoke to the MD at BCC where my springs are from…he confirmed that the springs they sell are infact manufactured by Owen but to BCC spec as per originals…BCC also supply to Coventry auto components…i originally thought that my springs would fit with no problem but once the shackle was on the spring it would not move forward enough on its mount to allow the front spring mount bolt to engagd…all the best…Steve

Probably the same, I’d think. Mine have Owen stickers on them, but were supplied via CA.
When fitting leafsprings, I fit to the front chassis mount first and mount the shackles second - there’s more movement that way, I find, I do the same with the Mustang and others. The CA fitting kit for the XK is excellent.

Yes i have the CA fitting kit…good value…only thing missing were 1/2 nuts to lock each nut on the U bolts…just cleaning up my old originals to re use…decided on a bit of protection for the big U bolts so slid on tight fitting very thin heat shrink sleeve…spot the mistake…seal retainer bolts now the correct way around with nuts at rear…Steve

Those 1/2 nuts are also called thin nuts or jam nuts, and are readily available from US sources such as McMaster-Carr if you need any.

…or Namrick, if you’re the right side of the pond!!

https://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_U_N_F_Bolts___Nuts__15.html

Ha, you’re right! Just been playing with the springs again and yes, they’re BCC, made by Owen. And they are just 1/2" short of aligning with the shackle eyes. I had failed to note that the shackle cannot swing fully forward due to the shoulders.
What was your demon trick for flattening the spring a tad?

I should add that I measured the shackle ID, which came out at 0.996" pretty reliably. The new bushes were 1.006-7" in diameter, giving an interference fit of around 10thou, which I think is too much. I turned the bushes down to 1.0" exactly, which allowed me to press them in without the gauge going over 2 tons. I think this should be OK - they’re certainly tight.

Hi Roger…you mentioned it above a bar across the top of the spring then a G clamp or similar to squeeze them together in the center…,Steve

It looks like your wedge is in backwards.

Thick end to rear

You are correct. My bad. I did not look closely enough and thought that was the left side.

1 Like