150 fuel filler flap

Hi All…need some help please on my new arrival…the lock in the filler flap is missing its retaining clip so its just loose and will come out… cant find one with usual suppliers BD 8071 i think…but does this lock look correct and what does the retainer clip look like in case i have to make something…also a bit confused as inside the filler opening is a spring latch…cant see how this works but i can turn the key and the tongue on the lock holds under the hook of the latch…how is this supposed to work…thanks…Steve

Looks like the latch on mine (early coupe) is a little different.

1 Like

Hi Kris…mine is a 1960 car…flap is opening the other way so lifts from front of car…however not saying its correct. .at lease i can see your clip…Steve

Hi Steve,

As pointed out, early and late fuel filler flaps are different, but I think the lock hardware is the same.

The missing clip is blued spring steel. It has an open circular ring that fits in to the groove in the lock, and has two legs that protrude down from it that push against the flap door. The legs are splayed a little to create a spring effect. I imagine this would be pretty difficult to improvise.

The spring latch permits the door to be snapped shut. The lock should have a thin coil spring that turns the lock to the closed position.

Replacement locks are probably threaded, which means you would not need the spring collar.

A suitably small hose clamp would probably suffice to hold the lock in place.

Regards,
Clive.

1 Like

Just found this diagram…if anyone has a spare clip please pm me…thanks…Steve