185 (OEM) Series vs 205 Series Tire?

John’s chart shows that Michelin Defender T+H in 205/70-15 96H will fit my original 5 inch rims. I am tempted to go back with Vredesteins, but the current stock available (at the places I checked) was made in 2017 and I’d rather have something made more recently. Is anyone running Michelin Defender T+H in 205/70-15 96H on 5 inch rims?

Thanks for any help[.

–Drew

Drew,
Years ago a put some Goodyear 205’s on 5” wheels and the car did not feel good to me, enough so that I put Dayton 6” wheels on it that returned “feel’ to what it had been.

I agree with you. when I originally got my Series II it came with 205’s and I drove it that way for a few hundred miles before doing the full restoration, then opted for Pirelli 185s post restoration. It’s a better and more satisfying overall driver on the 185’s for sure. One other item is that if you have to do a roadside tire change in the middle of nowhere on the 205’s it’s a bigger deal. Don’t ask.

Pre restoration 205’s:

Post restoration 185’s

I like the look on a 185. But people often think they look too thin. However i don’t think there isn’t any doubt about them being nicer to drive on a 185VR15 Cinturato or Michelin XVS.

Interestingly though we are just changing a set of Michelin XWX tyres on an e-type and the owner has done 30,000 miles on them which is pretty impressive on an old car. (i must admit they were pretty bald though. I would have changed them somewhat earlier. He definitely got his monies worth. we are now fitting 205/70VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN12)

185 vs 205 vs 225

(I hope this is PC)… I like my tires to look like beautiful supermodels: tall, skinny & black.

4 Likes

Blimey we look through different eyes don’t we.

Do you remember what the lift points they used were? I’ve got a two post lift and would love to use it on the Jag but have never thought I could. I’m trying to see where it might be placed from the pic but can’t see clearly

I like mine short n fat :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I’ll have a look underneath when I get back into town. Gues that might work if directly under the vertical panel behind the seats

Larry, in the rear, you can use the radius arm attachment point. In the front, the best place is the lower a-arm attacment point. Depending on the reach of the arms on the lift, it can be tricky reaching the one in front.

This is what I use on my 2 post lift with no issues. To clarify, it is the rear lower a-arm attach point that works, not the front (which would be near impossible to reach).

Jack,Doug, thanks much. I feel better using both of those locations. I looked into ramps specifically made for my lift (Challenger) , but they were as much as the lift itself. Yikes! And ramps would inhibit working on brakes etc.

This is where I pick my car from as well. Not too difficult if you centre up well.

Picks for Longstone - the Pirellis are just fine on the stock wheels. The handling is light and responsive - my buddy drove the car two weeks ago and said it drives like a newer sports car. I had her out for a 3 hour tour (no shipwreck) last weekend and as I was coming home realized how comfortable and sure the steering is. Stick with stock as long as they are good tires (tyres). pete

Well, yes. I now have some more input into this topic. My SP50 Dunlops have been recalled! Goodyear, who owns Dunlop (at least here in the USA) was very good about it when I called. Not the problem - the 205/70r15 is becoming a very rare size. Very few options that don’t have lame looking sidewalls or are at the bottom of quality in a given line. So our options are narrowing down if we want a moderate cost and above used car lot quality. Goodyear will easily replace mine without the slightest trouble, so good for them. The only replacements they offer in this size are limited, however. A 205/60r15 gives more options, but is too short.
Back to the cost issue. I’m not sure paying for rarity is the same as paying for QUALITY. This is my complaint. The low production and use numbers and the real world testing of these “botique” (sp?) tires make quality evaluations shaky. Capitalism demands that lower sales and production may mean higher price, but I don’t think higher quality is a guarantee. The German Continentals on our BMW are just great. They are modern, and presumed to use the latest tech (not all new stuff is great, but tires may be an exception - witness anyone who uses Blizzaks in snow). Not slamming the special Pirreli’s, etc., just saying I remain unconvinced that the cost is for “quality”, I strongly suspect the cost is rarity based.

16 inch rims would likely permit a wider range of tire choices in the 60 or 55 aspect ratio. Does anyone have any strong opinions about that route?

Pete – does the RDOILER plate = Road Oiler??

1 Like

Yes Craig - an homage to British cars’ natural seepage that inhibits rusting of chassis…

1 Like