1933 SS1 Open Tourer

Hi,

This came up. Anyone know the car or the chassis number?

Obviously a far cry from originality, lots of wood in weird places and bling added as well as a much later (MKV?) 3 1/2 Litre OHV engine instead of the original side valve engine. Electrics and lots of other things just fabricted to the liking of the owner / restorer.

Still a complete solid looking car. :slight_smile:

Originally a 1933 SS1 Saloon converted to a convertible much later, right? No Open Tourer had doors like that and the very few SS1 Drophead Coupés were made in 1935 and looked quite different, the hood would completely fold down unlike this one.

Cheers!

1 Like

I sent that to @Ed_Nantes: will be interesting to hear his take on it.

Bitsa though it may be, it’s a gorgeous car!

1 Like

I saved all the pix.
There is a photo of French import paperwork from 27 Juin 1975 which has the Chassis No. hand written as 1366S2 or maybe 136652. Looks like it came from Spain.
There is a document in Spanish giving a bastidor number 136652 and motor no. 210511.
Another Spanish document gives a list of owners beginning 3-11-33 in Madrid.
Another Spanish document gives bastidor o armazon num 136652, motor 210511, and forma del carruaje sedan.
136652 would be a correct chassis number for 1933, as according to JDHT the last 1933 model was 136751 made in Sept '33.
Allan Crouch’s book on SS1 & SS2 says 8 cars went to Madrid in 1933.

The SS Cars ID data plate says it is a 3-1/2 Litre which of course could not be true, must be a repro dating from '38 or later.

Engine probably Mark V 3-1/2L as it has the water pump extension aluminum casting only used on Mark V.

The Drop Head body was not offered on SS1 until 1935.

So as you say, it is likely modified from a coupe body something like this 136346.

Although the boot shape is more similar to this unidentified one.

I have not found pix of any other cars with this boot shape. Crouch does not mention it.

But generally I would say it was very tastefully done, particularly the wood trim work.

Though I wonder how much you can see in the windshield mirror with the hood folded down. :grinning:

1 Like

From Ed…

“I’d say a 1933/4 model sedan with the roof chopped off and a Mk v engine fitted.”

So I think everyone here is correct!

1 Like

I wonder if they widened the body? The windscreen looks too narrow but its shape is similar to an original saloon. Note also the body covers more of the rear mudguards.

Peter

Good catch Peter! Maybe they did to match the convertible hood, what ever it came from?

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing the auction notice. Overall easy on the eye and may run well.

Engine appears approximately Mark V.
Water temperature gauge bulb and capillary have altered routing and location.
Thermostat housing modified for different radiator feed path, closing off front flow and bulb sites.
Carbs have what appear to me to be XK short-neck suction-chambers.
Unclear to me what fuel pump model is used.
Windshield surround is pretty substantial, encouraging a “remodel” interpretation.
The spare tire carrier sure will easily give a scrape on uneven ground.

Will be curious to see sale price and hope that someone enjoys it very much.

1 Like

Well, it’s a '33 model, so maybe they were narrower than the later years.
Here is another '33 model.

1 Like