1937 SS 1 1/2 at Michigan show

Yesterday was the Michigan Jaguar Club annual concours. Rich and Diana Foster from Indiana visited Lori and me for the Labor Day weekend and trailered their “new” 1937 1 1/2 so they could show it.
As you know, SS era cars are mighty rare at Jaguar shows nowadays. There were crowds around it much of the day. You can disregard the replica “SS100” parked next to the SS.

2 Likes

Cool. I will have my '38 SS 2-1/2 saloon at the Chicago British Car Festival this coming Sunday at Harper College. Not restored but running fine, no need for a trailer. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

They painted it in ‘two-tone’! What were they thinking?:sunglasses::grin:

It looks wonderful!

Tim

1 Like

Ha, ha. Maybe we’d better not start that discussion again. :laughing:
Embarrassingly, mine is two-tone silver over gunmetal; but I didn’t do it, it was done in the 1960s in England. :blush:

2 Likes

I do not understand all the breathless histrionics that has ensued in conversations about painting these cars two-tone.

I honestly don’t get it. They look great!

Great to see this car out and about with its new owners - I have corresponded with previous owner for several years and had been meaning to ask him who he had sold car to…
Its probably one of, if not the nicest 1-1/2 litre 1936/7 SS Jaguars I am aware of anywhere in the world, and indeed when previous owner advised he had decided to sell was seriously considering buying this one if not for the logistics of inspecting first and shipping complications to Australia in these COVID difficult times… probably could have skipped the visit/inspection which I usually think mandatory when buying a car from overseas sources as I have extensive photos and dialogue over years…
And it is actually a November 1936 built car, but indeed to 1937 Model Year specification with a few only upgrades over the 1936MY cars…
And its great to see it still having its original ACE made/supplied Spare Wheel Cover which is so often missing on restored 1936/7 SS Jaguar - so often in fact there are those arguing they were not standard, but only an optional extra. Not so - they were standard fitment…
And I for one, absolutely love the colours - if not original, this car being Lavender Grey when new…, but two tone colours were most popular with William Lyons and offered as standard with his slightly earlier SWALLOW bodied and SS offerings, albeit although available as an extra cost option with 1936/7 SS Jaguar, I have no data that quantifies the uptake…

It’s just a running joke as I have a lovely two-toned MKV which is well known and I love it. Some ‘two-tones’ are probably less tasteful and that causes the angst.

Tim

3 Likes

I’ll be there with my 420 compact sedan. I’ll look for you and say Hi.

1 Like

Looks really nice.
Two-colour painting on a DHC is much to much for me, but two-colours saloons looks great.

I saw your car but didn’t see you near it.
Great show, about 450 British cars.
I just realized I took 120 pictures but failed to take a picture of my own car there.

2 Likes

I was there but was all over visiting people. I did leave for a bit at lunch time. I saw your car and it’s gorgeous. If by some chance you took a picture of my car maybe you wouldn’t mind sharing it with me. I didn’t take many pictures, but usually take one of my car and a family photo. This year I failed to do so. It was a bit hot too.

I can message you my email if you have a picture.
Thanks!
Tim

Here you go.
Nice to see a 420 again. One of my high school teachers had one, would have been nearly new then.

The tail end of mine is in the first pic behind the boy’s head.

3 Likes

Mine was the same color: it’s the one Jag I’d love to get back.

An MGA owner got a pic of my car and me at the show in the Chicago suburbs.

3 Likes

Looks like quite a warm day, Rob? At least you can get out and about as we are still in ‘lockdown’. :pensive:
Best wishes,
Tim

Yes, it was over 80F that day, not many trees so we needed hats. I’m the one with the grey shirt and green hat band. Oldest Jag there, but there were a few older cars, '30 Austin Nippy, '35 Ford Woody Estate Shooting Brake and '22 Rolls Silver Ghost Tourer.

What did we do before we had ‘Cargo’ style shorts to put all the bits a pieces we carry around these days? The car looks great, Rob.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll have to do better next year with my photos.

I was thinking of selling, but after a long cruise this morning I can’t do it. My family won’t ride in it for some reason, but it’s there loss.

3 Likes

THAT’S the attitude!!

Glad to read you’re keeping it.

1 Like