1938 1 1/2 @ Auburn Auction

This weekend. Dark blue with blue interior. Nice condition.
Price guide $30-40,000.

Chassis no. 51238

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/af19/auburn-fall/lots/r0488-1938-ss-jaguar-1-litre-saloon/808514

I see it has the under-bonnet Pyrene fire extinguisher, like mine. :grin:

They have always looked like a lot of car to push around with 1.5 liters!

This is true, but driving along on relatively level roads they feel quite similar to the bigger cars. It’s only when you come to a hill that requires you to change into third that the big gulf becomes apparent or when you decide to overtake something.

Peter

1 Like

Although called a "1 1/2 "litre it’s actually about 1.8 litres. A nice looking car although a few oddities. Blue tool tray. Odd horns. Is that a burr walnut dash? And I wonder if the engine is SS. It seems to have a MK IV carb etc set up not the down draft carbies.

Strange – no auction description, just photos.

Small identifier as 51328 shown, which is Chassis Number – which supports being probably a very late 1938 date-of-manufacture, although according to Alan Crouch’s book a 1939 Model Year 1-1/2 litre Saloon.

Tool Kit, my main area of interest is not great, but still better than most 1938-40 SS Jaguar tool kits, even with the glaring ‘blue’ error.

Does anyone have any better tool kit photos?

Roger Payne

CANBERRA

Australia

rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au

I believe this restored tool kit is essentially correct. Note the correct position of the baggage strap loops. There are of course several different tool layouts depending on manufacturing date. The one below is a fairly late layout.

Peter

Certainly, it doesn’t have SS on its oil filler cap.
I wonder what the brass thing in the middle of the rocker cover is. A pressure relief valve!!! ???

Peter

I too noticed that brass thing. Grease cup?

Better shot of the tool kit from SSJaguardata.com

According to parts catalogue J.1, the horizontal SU began with engine KA1 and this engine appears to be KA336E, which would make it a 1939 model.

1 Like

A friend who was at this auction tells me that this 1 1/2 Saloon sold for a bid of $26,000. So $28,600 with commission. Dave

This seems to me rather low for a restored car.
Is it because its a 1.5L and a saloon not a DHC, or RHD in a country where LHD is preferred? Would it bring more in a country where RHD is preferred?
Was the Auburn crowd into only muscle cars?

I think it’s predominantly the 1.5 litre factor. Not just on account of performance but also the short bonnet looks. Although it looks quite nicely restored, it’s far from original with its burr dashboard and tool tray treatment quite apart from strange horns and rocker cover adornment.

Peter

1 Like