1938-48 Lucas Battery Replacement Source

Peter,

Re the “concours achievement” goal (which is but a dim memory for me), I think that very few concours judges (certainly in the U.S.) know what is correct for SS and SS-Jaguar cars (except maybe the SS-100).

Ron

Hi Ron,

Probably true, but surely it doesn’t take much judgement to tell the difference between an old hard rubber battery and a modern one.

Peter

Peter

Wind you up ? That would imply a clockwork SS.
Not as silly as it sounds , That great Australian inventor Harry Hoakes invented a clockwork car. There’s a short video of it around somewhere.
Met all emission control targets. Cheap to run and
It never had any issues of distance from petrol or charging stations.

Hoakes indeed!

:clap: :upside_down:

Hi Ron,

Check out Lincon.co.uk / classic car battery with classic substitutes. I purchased one for my MK IV, though I don’t have the model no. at this time. You’ll need to find a solution for shipping to the US.
Popop

Popop,

Re Lincon, David Davenport, the leading pre-war Jag restorer in England recommended them to me several years ago. According to Guy at Lincon, their relevant model no for the '38-46 cars is 242/13, but their molds no longer include the lugs. The problem is shipping. In 2011 he said “Unfortunately we do not export batteries to the USA due to crippling insurance cover for the American market.”

Ron

Ariel Batteries in Melbourne make up and sell rubber cased batteries of the type used in SS.
They can be shipped dry. and I’m sure could work around the Insurance question .

Here is the illustration of engine bay from The Autocar magazine test, done on 19th March 1948.
You can see the Lucas logo on the battery.
The illustrations from this article are very valuable as reference point to someone who want to keep his Mark IV original.

The eagle eyed among us will notice the lead seals on the Regulator cover, the better to stop owners interfering . They were also on the etrol pumps.

A similar pic in Australian Motor Sport shows the Brysons car loaned for testing . Bonnet opened and already the under side of the LHS has been scorched above the starting carburretter.

Those who lust after complete originality would have noticed the attached transfers on the 2 air cleaners { not on LHD cars ]

Edd, let’s go further then with the illustrations for eagle eyes :eyeglasses: :slight_smile:

Or maybe just a little shading due to a less than flat scanned image?

Peter :wink:

Peter , no that’s not the picture , I suppose I will have to dig through and find it, which is a big job considering my level of organisation.

Actually there are two separate issues of Australian Motor Sport magazine published in late 1946, that respectively feature/describe/photograph firstly a 1-1/2 litre Saloon, and second magazine a 3-1/2 litre Saloon, both of course Right-Hand-Drive and both on Victorian registration being imported and sold new by Brylaw Motors (Melbourne).
These two magazines given shipping time from UK, and magazine publication lead time are both production standard early 1946 cars, as opposed to factory prototype pictures you sometimes see, and must surely be the earliest magazine tests/photos of a Jaguar (as opposed to an SS-Jaguar) anywhere, and the photos are great!.

I am not prepared to post scans of both magazines on line, but if anyone wants copies of one or both magazine pages that give these feature-articles (3 and 2 pages respectively, then please ask me direct I will happily forward to you at your advised email address, on strict proviso for your eyes only, and not to be on-forwarded to any third parties.

My direct email contact for any requests is:- rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au

Hi Peter,
Sheild Batteries do a fairly authentic rubber cased battery which i have used on a RR and XK

Thanks, Shield do have an extensive range of classic batteries but in common with all the classic battery manufacturers they don’t appear to provide 12 volt batteries with the screw down mounting lugs like the original types fitted to our cars.

Peter

Peter,

The Shield battery that is closest to the 38-39 Lucas STXW11A is their 602 model.

Here’s a comparison –

Length (w/o lugs)
Lucas STXW11A - 14.5 in. = 368 mm
Shield 602 – 370 mm

Length (incl lugs)
Lucas STXW11A - 15-5/8 in. = 397 mm
Shield 602

Width 6-7/8 in. (175 mm) 172 mm

Height __________________ 200 mm
(to top of case)

Height 9-1/4 in. (235 mm) 225 mm
(incl. post)

I have inquired as to whether they ship to countries outside the UK, but haven’t heard back yet.

Ron

Peter,

The Shield battery that is closest to the 38-39 Lucas STXW11A is their 602 model.

Here’s a comparison –

Length (w/o lugs)
Lucas - 14.5 in. = 368 mm
Shield 602 – 370 mm

Length (incl lugs)
Lucas - 15-5/8 in. = 397 mm
Shield - N/A

Width
Lucas - 6-7/8 in. = 175 mm
Shield - 172 mm

Height (to top of case)
Lucas - ?
Shield - 200 mm

Height (incl post)
Lucas - 9.25 in. = 235 mm
Shield - 225 mm

This is much closer to original than any other battery I have seen (e.g., Antique Auto Battery in the U.S.). I have inquired as to whether Shield will ship outside the UK, but haven’t heard back yet.

Ron