1938 SS Jaguar 2-1/2 Litre Saloon

Hi John,

I’ve forwarded your message to Ed. (I think he no longer uses JagLovers.)

Regards,

Peter

Hello John, if memory serves me, Ed Nantes had radiator badges reproduced. They can be found in various online locations, such as auctions, on occasion. You might try to contact Ed directly. He stopped posting on Jaglovers but I have had occasional correspondence with him via email.

You might try sending him a message via the Jaglovers “Message” function. If your new status on Jaglovers allows you to access the “Message” function, try a search for “Nantes” by clicking on the magnifying glass toggle in the upper right of the Jaglovers screen. Then click one of the threads showing Ed Nantes as a contributor. Once you find a thread entry by him then you can click on his name header for that thread comment. This will pop up a “Message” button which you can use. He may see that. I also can send him a note to see if he is available for communication with you if you like.

2 Likes

Welcome John.
I got my cream SS 2-1/2 radiator badge from Worcester Classic Spares in 2018.
Ed Nantes made the SS Cars ID plate for me also in 2018.
SS grille badge
My chassis number is 40051, engine L205. What is yours?

Worcester Classic Spares sell them. Part number CF.19

Thanks Chris but my very recent enquiry to WCS last month found this item to off the list and no longer supplied as the company that remanufactured this part closed down!

Hello Rob - thanks for getting back to me. My engine number is L1269E and chassis number 41002 and are matching numbers certified by JDHM. Date of manufacture 23 Nov 1938 and exported to South Africa 29 Nov 1938 by Tozer Kemsley and Millbourne. There was one original owner, a medical doctor, goes the story told to me by the second owner Mr B Armstrong who bought and registered the car on 11 Oct 1967. I purchased the vehicle 31 May 2003 as a restoration project.
I am at the stage of replacing and assembling lots of fiddley bits and pieces and I am sure will be a regular on this forum looking for advice.

2 Likes

Thank you Peter. Do you have his email address?

john,
I would love to get more info and photos of your car for research I am doing on SS and SS Jaguars
regards terry tmcgrath@bigpond.com

Hi Terry

I have away on the South African Wild Coast for a number of weeks and have not been able to reply due to very poor connectivity due to “load shedding” which severely impacts this very rural area.

It will be my pleasure to provide you with more detail on my 1938 2.5l SS Saloon. Let me put something together over this week.

I would also be interested to purchase your book “The Forerunners of Jaguar”. Please forward me the price delivered to Johannesburg, South Africa.

Best Regards

Dr John Tew

95 Galway Road

Parkview

Johannesburg

Mobile +27829235775

1 Like

Hi John,

There are quite a few SS Jaguar owners on this forum and I’m sure others would be interested in photos of your car and what you have needed to do to it. If you haven’t already been there I have posted links to photos and renovation works that I have done on my 1939 SS Jaguar 2 1/2 litre here: Nostalgia for SS Jaguar & Pre-war Television (nostalgiatech.co.uk)

Kind regards,

Peter

3 Likes