1939 saloon fuel reserve tap

I have been experiencing leakage from the fuel reserve tap on my 1939 saloon. I removed the tap and refurbished it with new corks from Alan Gibbins. Giving it the standard suck/blow test it was leak-free. When I refitted the tap I had some problems lining it up with the operating rod, but got it all connected up. At first it was OK, but after a journey I smelt fuel and petrol was again leaking from the tap. I pulled the knob to the reserve position and the leak stopped. When I removed the tap I realised the cause was the misalignment of the tap to the rod causing the internal corks to be pushed out of line.
I know that the rods on the Mark IVs are straight (two rods with a connector joining them), but from the relative positions of the hole in the wing for the rod and the tap on the bracket on the chassis it appears that the pre-war lower rod should have something like a swan neck bend in it to make it line up. Either this or my chassis is out of alignment with the body.
The pre and postwar rods have different part numbers in the parts catalogue.
Prewar are 3181 and 3182, postwar are C1563 and C1564, and are illustrated on plate T numbers 118 and 119.
So my question is, are the pre-war rods straight or should one of them have a bend in it.
Denis Foxley

Hi Denis,

I couldn’t have told you off hand but it looks like the dog-leg is correct.

Peter

Perhaps it should come as no surprise that mine is different from Peter’s.

This looks very much like another case of:
“Pardon me, Mr. Heynes, it doesn’t fit.”
“Come up with something quick. We haven’t delivered any cars in four months and Mr. Lyons is about to explode.”

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that Peter’s version of the rod with the dog-leg bend is correct, and his looks original. Rob’s looks like a home made job by someone who, like me, has lost the original one. It shouldn’t be difficult to bend a length of rod to the correct shape, as I have the proper joining piece.

Yes , but the missing section of the inner guard looks very original : >)