1940 SS questions

Great photos undoubtedly confirming the P100’s.
Interestingly the only car with horns above is the DHC.
As these are combined in the same run of chassis numbers as the saloon this can only add the the confusion.
Thanks for everyone’s interest / responses. Keep it coming.
Regards

Jordy’s IPhone

TL8125 is very obviously a 2.5 litre and has the horns as I would expect. Two of the other cars are 3.5 litres, ERW 470 and A1 so I would expect the hidden horns.

DKV 120 and EDU 769 appear to be 2.5 litres but without horns. DKV is a strange car that I think was a test bed for the changes to come in the MY40 cars. At the time of the photos it has the narrow waist line and SS spinners. I can’t offer any explanation for EDU not having horns. The photos of it were clearly taken at some time during WW2 so prehaps it had also been an MY40 prototype although it still has the wide waist line. Despite the wide strip its doctored photo appears in at least four different post war adverts as a MkIV Jaguar. The one below is from July 5th 1946 in “The Autocar”.

(The dates in yellow in my previous post are the dates of registration and not necessarily the photo dates.)

Peter

So who had license plate number A1, the King?

Looking at my horn mounting brackets more closely, I see they can swivel, and in fact appear to have been swiveled, and the 690617 brackets attached on side bolts rather than the rear bolts, otherwise the WT28 horns would be too far forward.

horns
horns above
Or I suppose they could have made some sort of long angle bracket to move them back. Maybe that’s what people do when they want the long “Posthorn” trumpets.

Do we know when the model WT28 came on the market? It’s in the '51 Lucas catalogue but the WT29 equivalent in black probably came along at the same time and is listed as being on the '40 cars. Perhaps the original owner of mine wanted the “Mellowtone” sound these Windtones make. :grin:

Looking back at the white DHC photo which began this thread, they appear to have used some sort of straight pedestal up through the middle of the resonance chamber.

A little red herring to this thread, but…
First up, heaven forbid, its not a “License Plate” - that is a term exclusively used in USA. In the UK and Australia etc it is always a NUMBER PLATE, or acceptable to say “Registration Plate”.
Second up - the King/Queen NEVER has any Number Plate - all Royal cars usually carry the Kings/Queens Crown badge/crest, as do all vice-Regal cars in the British Commonwealth countries, such as the Governor Generals official car in Australia/New Zealand etc.

A1 was simply a standard/normal private registration, that in the UK was issued under a complex system of the letters denoting the Registration Authority, in this case A = London County Council. A1 was of course the first registration so issued by the LCC in December 1903, where the number only was assigned/issued, but it was up to the recipient to get there own NUMBER PLATEs made (within specified guidelines) and fitted to the car (within specified guidelines). But once a NUMBER PLATE was issued, the owner was free to transfer it from car to car, or indeed sell/assign the rights to another ‘owner’ regardless of the Registration Authority lived within. A1 was first issued to ‘the second Earl Russell’ who onsold the rights in 1907 to a George Pettyt (Head of Maudes Group Motors), who kept plate and had it reissued to several new/different cars over his 1907 to 1950 period of ownership, and on his death the rights to A1 bequeathed on, eventually being picked up by DUNLOP Tyre Company who still retain.
But the photo of A1 on the SS Jaguar is presumably just one of George Pettyt’s new cars…, so maybe that may help identify exact car from JDHT Records, if indeed they were so inclined to reveal…

There are several good books on UK Number Plates (Registration Plates) that are most useful identifying all these pictures of SS Jaguars with UK Plates on them… but it is complex, and did change over the years… I have just spent a lot of time tracking down BDD127 Number Plate, still on a March 1936 dom 1936MY SS Jaguar, recently found/rescued/acquired after 40 years literally 'barn find"…

Yea, let’s not sully a silly hunk of metal with some numbers mashed into it…:laughing:

The normal horn bracket is “T” shaped and you can see them painted white in the first photo in this thread.

I don’t know when the various WT types first came on the market but it would have been some time in the mid 1930s. There are quite a lot of variants with round trumpets, square trumpets and triangular trumpets.

Rob the horns on your car are not out of period. They are just not what SS Cars were fitting are standard. Plenty of 1930s cars were fitted with them although I’ve never seen them with the mounting bracket turned around to 4 o’clock / 8 o’clock before. They are normally at 12 o’clock.

Peter

Well, ok, but it’s a license to drive on the road, and it’s a plate. :grin:

So I guess the SS1 with the Desmo cat and WT28’s is “period”. :grin:
How about this one?

I guess ultimately it comes down to this; the HF728 went out of production on some unknown date, Lucas was now offering the WT series, Lyons must have decided at some point that he wanted the horns concealed and black, maybe he saved a shilling there, but some owners wanted them exposed and chrome and did so.
The part numbers for the front wings did not change until '46, so we can’t tell whether they issued spares with or without the pedestal holes.
Once again we find some feature change we can’t pin down to a date with any exactness.

No last hurrahs Rob - much to Paul’s disgust at such trivialities… :grin:
But no, these Jaguars and SS Jaguars were in fact “Made in England” and not USA, so when discussing SS Jaguar’s in England we should at least respect correct English terminology, which fortunately is also correct Australian terminology. But in England a car is assigned a “Registration Number” when it is first “Registered” and the owner or selling Dealer is then obliged to source/get made a NUMBER PLATE displaying the assigned Registration Number, and be made of the prescribed specification and affix the correctly made Number Plate onto the assigned car in the prescribed position, thus displaying the cars now valid Registration. Thus it is NUMBER PLATE for the actual piece of metal (these days often plastic), and the car is now legally REGISTERED, thus sometimes the Plates are/do get referred to as REGISTRATION PLATES. The only 'Licencing" is for a driver of a car, who after being successfully tested for proficiency, then gets their DRIVING LICENCE, and notice English spelling of “Licence”, and not America spelling “License” :grin: :grin:

1 Like

So. The study suggests the HF1228 (replaced by HF1234)

with bracket 701639

This would have it being mounted above and as my car already has holes through the front valance this is what I’m leaning to.
I havent discounted Peter’s information of the later type ('39) shown in two photos so this is also an option.
Many thanks.

PS. Rob. My chassis has three holes in the chassis behind the radiator for what could be assumed as clamps for wiring. Is yours the same? Having said that they could be a continuation of the earlier practice after the loom has been superceded.
BTW. How does your wiring get to the horns and the spotlights then?
Regards, Graham

Hi Graham,

I’ve never seen even a modern photo of the “naked” horn in your photo on our cars let alone a period photo.

Peter

p.s. I’ve just found something I didn’t know I had. Note the WT horns in The Autocar road test for the MY40 saloon. (test date 5th Jan 1940)

Graham,

You can get the correct horns on Ebay UK for a reasonable amount.

Art

They are the black ones Art. If they are mounted above the apron they have chromed trumpets and domes.

Peter

This has been a fascinating study. My Brooklands '31-'51 portfolio book of magazine road tests does not include this one. Note the Autocar format was month/day/year. :grin:

I found this one from Autocar dated July 28 1939 also identifying the 2-1/2 as having the WT28 horns.

And this ad from Henleys with text indicating that this is probably a '38 model with concealed horns.

So burning with curiosity, I took a closer look at my WT28’s, ended up removing them. Found old accident repairs on both pedestals, by some shade tree mechanic.
That’s 3/8-20 BSF joined to 3/8-16 BSW threaded rod.

And here’s a 3/8-20 BSF hex head bolt brazed to the brass.

I removed it and extracted a broken piece of 3/8-20 BSW rod from inside.

And marks in the holes for the six periphery screws indicating that the screws had been moved around, the main mounting screws having previously been at the rear positions 11 & 1 o’clock, though now at 3 & 5 or 7 & 9. I tried putting them at 11 & 1 and found that the flares protruded about 2 inches beyond the front bumper. I had forgotten that the flares were bent when the car came to me and I had repaired them. Now I think these horns were installed straight out, then had a collision, and were remounted to move them back.

Looking at the '39 Autocar picture, either the horns were in holes in a different position from mine, or they had some sort of long mounting piece to put them farther to the rear of the bumper.

Graham, I only see two clips behind the radiator.

My wiring to the horns and driving/fog lights comes from each side, splits off from the headlight wiring bundles, passes under the wings, and then to the lights and horns, i.e. not through any other holes in the wings.

Interesting. The ashtray in the rear of the front seats must not have made it to production as I have not seen these in any of the three MY40 cars here including mine.

Jordy’s IPhone

Thanks Peter. That’s about as conclusive as it can get. I can’t however read it. Can you post the image of the front of the car. Regards, Graham

Rob. Is there a date stamp on the model label under the cover of your horns?

How about these then? Open to offer

Art

Those certainly look like the ones in Graham’s first post Art. Here’s a detail from the 1940 road test conducted with lowered compression ratio and pool petrol. BTW Unless you are a very heavy smoker those trays on the backs of the seats are actually “picnic trays” rather than “ash trays”.

Peter

Here’s another 1940 car.

I’m not sure about the seat backs.