1948 1 1/2 litre Mk IV rear wheel bearing

I have noticed slight play on one of the rear wheels when I jacked the car up, which I suspect is due to the wheel bearing. Any recommended procedure or tips to correctly adjust or tighten the captive axle nut/ split pin, etc to reduce the unwanted movement? Thanks

Hi David,

You just have to fiddle about with a screwdriver and long nosed pliers to get the split pin out. There are holes in the sides of the splined hub for limited access. If it proves impossible to get the split pin out you can always just shear it by unscrewing the nut and then clear the remains of the pin with a pin punch.

If you are wanting to remove the hub you might be lucky but quite possibly you will find that without a dedicated puller itā€™s just impossible to remove. Leave the nut partially unscrewed on the half shaft so as to protect the end of the shaft from the puller and also to limit the movement if the hub releases violently.

(My understanding of the term ā€œcaptiveā€ regarding nuts is limited to those that are fixed to their surroundings rather than those retained by a pin.)

Peter

I have actually had the hubs, etc off as part of the restoration work undertaken, and now put everything back - but Iā€™m not sure if I tightened or adjusted everything correctly. Certainly a tricky job, and not a quick process as you say. One rear wheel now appears to have a little bit of play in it. When I was rebuilding I simply tightened the centre nut until the axle didnā€™t move freely, then slackened it off 1/2 turn before inserting the split pin. I did this with all the wheels front and back, and the bearings themselves are ok. Thought there may be a more engineered process or torque setting to get it to be more than guess work!! Thanks. David.

Oh no , that is VERY much the wrong thing to do

Firstly it shouldnā€™t need 1/2 a turn to get the pin in, only say 1/ 12 of a turn [ half a flat] but if you canā€™t get the split pin in when the nut is very tight .{ and you should use a 3/4 " drive socket bar { NOT a tube spanner] the the nut should be put in a lathe and a few thou" taken off the back until you can get the holes lined up. But never slackened off
If the re is too much end float in the bearings you need to work with the shims, And there should be about the same amount of shims on each side, nOt all ormore on one side.

1 Like

That sounds like my error. I cannot see anything in the Service Manual I have for the rear axel information, but the details for the front axel definitely says ā€œslacken off 1/2 turnā€, so I did the same on the rear. I will tighten up the rear before I drive it on the road, but from what you say there is no formal factory torque setting for this nut then? Thanks

The fronts are totally different to the rears. In the front you are tightening the pressure on taper roller bearings, whereas at the rear you are simply wanting the tightest fit on the tapers of the half shaft and hub which should be rock solid unlike the front bearings.

Peter

OK. Thanks for the clarification Peter. I will carry out a re-fit.

In case anyone else is wanting to know what we are on about - here are a couple of pictures of the hub nut and access hole for the split pin.

I posted this on the related topic, ā€˜Rear Wheel Hub Problemā€™ so thought I would drop it in again. The hub nut on the back half shaft must be made very tight as it takes the full driving torque. It is not intended to slip such that the full torque force would be applied to the key. Any slippage here hammers the key and the keyways in the shaft and hub, ultimately writing them all off.