1948 Front Seat Runners / Slides

Hello again,

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a close up photograph of the bottom seat runners / slides for a 1948 3.5 MKIV? I have just discovered that I am missing them on my car! I have found an illustration in one of reference books but it is not the same as a photo. Naturally I would be delighted if someone had four spares so that I don’t have to have them made.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim

Fortune smiles upon you… possibly
The seats are out of the DHC at resent and I will try and get pic stomorrow

Thank you very much, Ed.
Cheers,
Tim

I think they are the same runners as my 1948 MK IV 1.5 ltr. Here are some photos taken when I was taking the seats out at the start of my restoration.

The runners bolt down to the floor, and the seats bolt onto the top of the runners. You may be able to find similar runners from a different car that could be made to fit (rather than making them from scratch) or even use heavy duty kitchen drawer runners as the starting point !!! Just make sure they are safe and hold the seats correctly.

Hi,

They look exactly like the ones in my MKV DHC. FWIW.

Cheers!

My MK IV car came off the production line at the very end of 1948, at a time when I think the MKV also came along. Knowing Jaguar they probably used common parts across the factory to save cost.

Hello David,

Thank you very much for sending me the photographs. They are indeed the same as MKV seat runners. Here are the runners from my MKV.

No doubt they will be different from those on the MKIV.

Best wishes,
Tim

The parts catalogues list the seat runners as the same for the Mark V saloon and the '46-'48 cars:
BD.1702 Seat-Runner Assembly, Left Hand
BD.1703 Seat-Runner Assembly, Right Hand.
Can you state exactly which parts you need? I can look in my Mark V parts if suitable.

Can anyone help with good photos of the earlier (up to '47) Mk IV which has the pull-up locking system with the black knob? I have some home-made bits and would like to replicate the original, expecting that to find a usable used set would be impossible. Thank you in advance.

Peter

My June 1948 has the pull up black adjusting knobs as well. Here is a photo of the underside of one of the seat showing the four round locating discs which must slide in the runner mounted to the floor. I know that the adjusting knob on the MKIV only locks on one side unlike the MKV which locks on both sides. The MKV must have been more secure I’m assuming?

Tim

Hello again,

I have been sent a clear photo of the seat runners for the MKIV which suit my June 1948 built car.

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks Tim, I’ll do a rummage through boxes. Could I trouble you for a picture of the locking lever arm and spring and their attachment to the frame, if not too difficult.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for offering to rummage through the boxes.
My seats are with the upholsterer at present so I can’t take a photo of the spring, however I was sent a photo of the locking mechanism by the same fellow who sent me the photo of the runners. I’ll post one of the spring soon unless someone else posts one beforehand.

Cheers,
Tim

These are th e type of runners in my car. Fumbling in the gloom with a pair of calipers it seemed the dimensions of the rectangular tubing were about1"wide, about 3/4"height [ carpet means a certain amount of guess work and about somewhere ä bit under 1 /8"thick material.
A quick google didn’t find commercially available rectangullar steel section like that , or aluminium. However a company in Porto [ FMS} has stainless steel in what may be suitable , 25mm x 15mm x 2mm. And you wouldn’t need to chrome plate t. But you would need someone with a horizontal mill to cut the slot out of the top and cut the notches across that are used fr adjustment.
Hows that for excitement. Own an exotic foreign car, spend money and meet people from exotic foreign land who sell stuff you may need. Don’t need a world cruise.

Thanks gents, this is a great help. I realised my enquiry about the extra photo of the spring is unnecessary as the locking spring is the spring steel strap connecting the pull-up lever to the frame.

The later models of IV and the V with the push down release is a full width bar that locks on both sides (in the earlier photos). Just about everything between these two versions is different with no interchangeability. The only coil spring is the assist spring for the seat elevation as shown, but the later version has two tension springs under the front to lock the transverse bar (in the earlier photos).

What is the type of material used in the four slider pads? This would have to be very low friction material. Today, I guess we would choose nylon.

Hello Peter,

The round discs are steel as are the runners. Light greasing helps them slide I guess? Once you’ve found your driving position you don’t really move the seat.

The seat locking mechanism on the MKV is a lot safer I think as it locks both sides. I’ll have lap-sash safety belts fitted as added protection.

Cheers,

Tim

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Ed,

Thank you very much for fumbling around with the callipers in the gloom, no mean feat!

I have located the website for the company in Porto http://www.fms.pt/en/stainless_steel/tubes/stainless_steel_rectangular_tube.html

Exotic cars, like exotic people, are best encountered sparingly it would seem.:wink:

Cheers,

Tim

Timothy Fox
Timothy2963@gmail.com

Unless the mounting for seat belts are structurally up to it it will be 'spit and hope 'protection
And the MK IV centre pillars aren’t going to be up to it.
In fact nowhere on the car would meet ADRs for mountings
It’s safer to feel less safety than you actually are, than over confident