1948 MKIV Rear Bumper Bar Bolts

Hello friends,

I needed to purchase the Rear Bumper Bar ‘Special’ Bolts, Part No. C1991 but couldn’t find any so we had 50 made by an engineering firm here in Melbourne using a drawing from Allan Crouch with input from Alan Gibbins. Ivan Stevens had them made from polished stainless steel so no need to chrome them. They are tightened with an Allen Key as per the original. Alan Gibbins has seen the finished product and given them his ‘tick’ of approval. If people need to replace theirs then please make contact with me. They are $20.00AUD each + Post to wherever you are. The red ‘Reflecta’ stud is mine only for comparison and display, sorry. Barretts are trying to find a manufacturer of the studs at the moment, so fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

20 bucks, EACH?

Seems VERY reasonable!

Hi Paul,

Yes, that’s correct and Australian Dollars too! I’m not a business, just a fellow enthusiast who has been helped by many others and am happy to do the same. Surely that’s the point of this forum?:+1:t2: The $20.00 covers the expenses involved in having them made. Also, now that the engineering company has the pattern on their computer they can produce more if required. The only catch is that I have to order 50 at a time to make it worthwhile for the manufacturer.

Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

I might order two, just to put’em on my hot rod!

Okay Paul.
Send a message to my e-mail and let me know your address, then I’ll work out postage to you from Australia.
Cheers,
Tim
Timothy2963@gmail.com

1 Like

Paul,

Just remember that it’s for the bolt NOT the red ‘Reflecta’. :+1:t2:

Tim

No worries! I can cut and grind a amethyst crystal for that…:grimacing:

I have been asked what the difference is between the 1948 bumper bar bolts and those fitted to earlier cars? Does anyone have a photo they could put up on this link? I’d be interested to see.
Cheers,
Tim

Okay, I think I have the answer now. The earliest bolt had a hex head and was tightened with a spanner. the second version had a flat head with a long shoulder and longer thread which passed through the bumper bar and the supporting spring steel iron to the cast iron locating arm. The third version has the conical head and tapered underside with a smaller shoulder. This version held the bumper bar to the support bar and the shoulder of the bolt passed though the support iron and onto the cast iron locating arm. Why Jaguar didn’t just use one bolt for the entire production is anyone’s guess? Here are some photo’s of version two and three (I think?).

Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

Hi Tim, Is it possible that the longer shoulder bolt allowed a slightly longer distance or adjustments, between the body and bumper [+1/2"] for easier removal of the spare wheel which is removed at an angle.
Daniel

Hello Daniel,

From what I have been told the longer shoulder bolts are not original Jaguar.

Tim

Hello Paul,

Do you still want two of the bolts? Please message me directly if you do.

Cheers,

Tim