1950 Jaguar MK5 DHC in restoration

Hi guys, I write from Portugal, I’m Frederico and I’m 30 years old.
I’m restoring a beautiful 1950 Jaguar MK5 DHC.
But he was very badly treated, now the goal is to make him new.
I’m in need of lots of parts, but I’m having a lot of trouble finding material for this model.
Can you help?
Where do I find material for the bodywork and for the mechanical and motor parts?

Thank you for accepting me in the community.

Welcome Frederico. The forum for the Mark V is the Pre-XK forum where we discuss all the pushrod engined models.

1 Like

Pekka Teiluvo (sp?) is well-versed in these cars.

Hello Frederico, and welcome to JL. I’ve moved your topic to the #pre-xk category.

Welcome Frederico.
I also have a Mark V undergoing restoration.

The factory Service Manual, Spare Parts Catalogue, and Owner’s Handbook are available on CD-ROM from Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust and sometimes in CD or paper versions from other vendors on ebay.
http://www.jdht.com/index_intro.html

For specific Mark V parts your closest vendor is probably Simon at Worcester Classic Spares in the UK.

Many suspension and electrical parts are the same as for XK120. For them I use:
http://www.xks.com/

There are other general parts vendors in the UK.
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/

Post some pictures. We would love to see it.

1 Like

The engine and gear box are essentially the same as MK IV and most are available.
The part of the body that is the drop head is very similar to the MK IV ? SS drop head
As Rob says , a lot of suspension etc parts are the same as XK , Bu t generally I"d look for them as MK V parts , XKs are more expensive and so parts listed as for XKs are likely to be more expensive,

2 Likes

Hi,

The chassis is bascally the same (and the wheels, hubcaps) as MK VII and many parts from the 1950’s Saloons are if not identical then at least compatible. Currently my MKV DHC has front brakes from a MK VIII.

If you can not make it to Stoneleigh (near Kenilworth and Leamington Spa in England) this Saturday I suggest you plan a trip there next time March 18th 2018. International Jaguar Spares Day.

And like Rob wrote Simon at Worcester Classic Spares UK is a great source of parts for these cars.

It took me over ten years to find an original DHC interior lamp. Now I have two. But I have only one original Loop Pull (need two) so it’s a bit like collecting rare stamps, or coins.

However these are quite simple cars, so it’s nice to work on them, very rewarding, and many parts can be made. The steel work on the body is not difficult, used wings are available but can be expensive (£1000+ each for front wings) but the wooden frames for the doors are complicated, made of beech, I bought a bandsaw (made in Sheffield) planer etc. and made new frames myself. Photos can be found in the old Photo books here at Jag-Lovers or then I can post some later.

BTW it took me five years to get the doors rebuilt. Once I had the timber and the tools the first frame took two years and the second frame took me two weeks to make. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 647194
Fin.

Ps. Please add to www.saloondata.com, you can find my car #647194 and lots of other cars there. What’s your chassis nr? Do you have a JHT certificate?

1 Like

Hello Friend,
My car is already in the paint phase.
The bodywork was very bad, very rotten and a lot of things invented. But it was complete.
A few more days and I put photos.
I thank you for your goodwill.
I ask one more question, what is the original color of the engine?

Engines were always gloss black on the outside, except the aluminum parts were left unpainted.

You may see red on the inside, but that is only a preservative sealant called Glyptol, which is there to seal in the microscopic sand particles remaining in the surface metal from the casting process, to keep them from getting in the bearings, and is not necessary on the outside.

The same is true of the gearbox and rear axle, gloss black on the outside of the steel parts and red or orange or green Glyptol on the inside.

1 Like

It’s worthwhile to apply Glyptol to the inside of the sump [ After proper cleaning]. The sumps were not world standard castings and are sometimes porous
Easy t do while it’s apart , a bugger to do later.

Rob
I just found your post and the fact that you are/have restored a MKV
I’m in the midst of mine and looking for some of the EZ Plates missing from the copy of the Parts Manual I have. Any advice on obtaining a complete copy (I know about Jag Heritage)
Thanks
DON

PS I’m in Jacksonville FL

What pages are you missing?

Hello Frederico
I have also been involved in the total restoration of an MK V 2.5, Saloon, 1950 for a number of years. I too, as I’m sure everyone in this forum has restored an MK V, who have experienced that obtaining spare parts for this model is not easy is. I just disassembled an MK V as a donor. It could well be that I still have the parts you need. I can’t help you with the engine, because it’s a 2.5. But I know where you can still buy cylinder heads for 3.5 at very favorable conditions. I wish you a lot of energy and perseverance.
Greetings from Switzerland
Gerhard Waldner

PS Since my English, incidental writing is rather bad, I have my texts translated by Google translator.

2 Likes