1950s Rubery Owen Film

Here’s a link to an 18-minute promotional film about Rubery Owen, a major manufacturer of British automobile components. The film shows the making of wheel rims, ENV axel housings, and chassis frames. Toward the end of the film, there is footage from inside the Jaguar factory where Mark VII and XK120 bodies are quickly joined to their Rubery Owen chassis frames. https://youtu.be/6lTh55L2Mjw

4 Likes

Love it! At 9:35 there is a Mark V frame hanging on a conveyor. At 13:08-26 there is an XK120 frame being dip painted. 13:42-14:35 is the Mark V, VII and XK120 production lines action.
Thanks, Mike.

Interesting the film of making wheel rims for wire wheels, Which are obviously 18" rims for car such as SS/ Mk IV. { as the edges are rolled inwards]
The voice over bravely says when rolled and welded they are made perfectly round.
This will be news to MK IV owners who generally equate a perfectly round wheel to finding a 4 leaf cover… And why in recent times the NZ produced rims were desired as the y were rolled afterwards to remove the joggle at the weld point.

1 Like

Loved it, thanks,
Rob

Great period film Mike, and the XK120 relevance.
But I had thought - correct me if I am wrong - that DUNLOP made all SS and Jaguar wire-wheels, and I didn’t pick up in this film that Rubery Owen made anything other than disc-wheels?

Roger

Bloody BBC - took the video down :rage:

Just like Auntie Beeb to do so…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Here’s an equally-satisfying one!!

1 Like

Agreed …BTW d’ya think anyone speaks like that in the UK these days?

??? We all do ! And always a collar and tie !

1 Like

So it would seem!

1 Like