1954 LHD XK 120 OTS: placing body on chassis

This subject has been dealt with before on the Forum and I refer in particular to the excellent video made by Nick Saltarelli. Yet there are many questions left that I would like to have answered before I start lowering the body (and damage the painted body).
I understand the following measures/steps to be taken before the OTS body can be placed:

• There are various ways to lower the body like using 4 big guys (or girls of course), an engine crane or even more sophisticated ways in a professional environment. I will opt for the engine crane.
  • It will be impossible to put in the steering column and box afterwards, so these have to be positioned temporarily in the body (to the LH side wall in my case) with lots of protection material.
  • In case of the OTS, it seems feasible to leave the radiator (fully connected) on the chassis. The fitting will be tight around the radiator, but it can be done (as Nick S. showed).
  • Bumper Support member C.3851 (a.k.a. the cow horns) should be placed first in the body as access later is impossible.

Do others (that have been there…) have additional points/parts that I should put in first?

My specific questions to the collective experience of this forum are the following.
As far as I understand, Bumper Support member C.3851 is (also) connected to the lower part of the Mounting Plate Assembly C.3634 (with the bonnet catch). I cannot find any confirmation other than I see 4 holes in both items. The SPC is not referring to the bolts used for this, nor does Viart provide any information on the subject.

Does someone know whether I can (should) fit these bolts on forehand or is it better to just tie the Cow Horn to the inside of the front of the body?

I also read that someone recommended to fit the Radiator Angle Sealing plates (BD.4630 and 31) at the inside of the wing valences before lowering the body, but I don’t understand that remark, as there seems to be sufficient space to place these plates + felt afterwards. Am I correct?

Thanks,

Bob K.

I don’t know bolting the cowhorn to the mounting plate assembly before lowering the body back onto the frame is advisable, Bob. I tied it up inside the front of the body then positioned it in place as pretty much the final step of the process.

No, you don’t want the sealing plates pre-installed if you’re going to mount the rad ahead of time. They’ll get in the way while you wiggle the body to fit. What I discovered after it all was done is I have the radiator slightly too far forward and need to adjust it back in order for the shields to fit.

Take you time. Think it out. Be careful. It’s very do-able solo but an extra set of eyes, ears and hands would be an asset.

My 120FHC body has never been off the chassis so I can’t claim any experience there.
I have fitted the radiator side panels after putting in the radiator. The trick is to get the holes lined up with a pointed tool such as a punch.
I have removed and replaced the steering column. It was a real pain with the FHC but I believe the OTS is easier, or at least the guy that wrote the manual thought so.
In this picture I don’t see either the steering column or the cow horn, but I suspect the cow horn may have been strung up inside before hand. Or they might have swung it in at the last moment.
XK120FactoryAssy07
Those two guys looking away are probably saying, “Hey Bertie, bring that cow horn over here.”

Be sure to get as much of the chassis and scuttle assembly work as you can done before the engine gets in your way. Notice this car already has it’s brake master cylinder reservoir, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the brakes were already bled.