1954 XK 120 Coupe exhaust bracket locations

Rob, I’d quite like to know exactly the position of the welded-on tab used for the side exiting tailpipe. Is there a measurement to it from a certain point on the chassis you could tell me? Maybe measuring forward from the rear end of the chassis rail…?
Chris

The top angles down, Chris.

Yes, it’s original, though repainted. It would be a simple task to fabricate. 14 ga.

Thanks, Nick - very good to know.
Chris

Here’s a pic, and a pdf pattern to follow, Chris. The pattern is on 1/4" graph paper. Much easier to send this rather than the actual part from Canada to the UK (though my wife has volunteered to do the deed if original atoms is important to you!)

XK120 single exhaust bracket.pdf (55.4 KB)

It really would be a simple fabrication.

Thanks for the drawing, Nick - very kind of you! Well, now you mention it, I am a bit partial to original atoms… Could you possibly email me on chrisgrifo68@gmail.com and let me know what you want for it? You’re a hero!
Cheers,
Chris

It is directly under the mounting position of the shackle for the rear spring.
IMG_20200522_175203467
I found a picture of what I believe is an original hanger for the side exit tail pipe.

Looks like a channel shape with a bent over end.

Thanks, Rob. Is the bracket welded to the outer or inner face of the chassis rail? I had also come to the conclusion that the lower picture shows the bracket for the early side-exit tailpipe. It would need to be a bit longer to allow the pipe to exit below the wing, I think. You can see the tailpipe in this pic of my #660405 taken in 1953. It seems also that the final section of the pipe angles downwards slightly (ie: not horizontal).
I feel like with the help of yourself and others we are finally beginning to nail down these different brackets! It would be great if someone has some clearer pictures of the side-exit tailpipe arrangement.

Wes,
I believe from studying the Viart and Schmid books, that the rear silencer bracket of the twin system hangs via a rubber bobbin UNDER the (vaguely) V-shaped steel strap. It uses a shorter bobbin C5062 than the single system does (C3690). It also uses the same C5062 bobbin on the front silencer mounting. The rear silencer mounting tab on the single system rests on the TOP of the bobbin C3690, which in turn sits on TOP of the horizontal flat part of the strap. Very often the strap will have been bent out of shape somewaht and will need to be re-shaped. Access is easy once the left boot floorboard is removed. New replacements are available if yours is too badly damaged or missing.

This is my single system. The bobbin is actually the wrong one, fitted so the tailpipe has a bit more clearance with the axle tube. Once I have the correct tailpipe there should be room for the correct, larger bobbin.
Chris

With my car up on 4 (good sturdy) jack stands and level, I measure the angle of the rear chassis at about 7 to 8 degrees.

Here is a revised drawing of the C.5838 bracket.

Studying the part book drawing, it calls for 3 of the item 75 rubber mounting bobbin. They are always used in compression.
IMGP7195

Originally it had BSF threads, but later they changed to ANF threads.
Item 74 is the side exit tail pipe, and it seems to have 3 bends in it, must have been tricky to make.
I found another pic of the mounting tab welded on the chassis. It is not quite flush with the inboard side, maybe 1/8" outboard.

That’s brilliant, Rob! Perfect for anyone who may be wanting to make one.
Chris

That’s right, Rob. The C3690 rubber bobbins are a bit taller than the C5062 ones used on the twin pipe silencer, from what I can tell. I would have thought that the bobbin on the rear of the twin silencer would sit on top of the supporting strap as on the single system. But from the pictures I’ve seen it appears to hang off the bottom of the strap, as I said in reply to Wes above. I’m happy to stand corrected, though… The bobbins in compression seem a preferable situation to me - then there’s no way the silencer could drop if the rubber were to fail. However, many exhaust systems are suspended from rubber mounts these days…
Thanks for the very clear picture of the mounting tab on the chassis for the side-exit tailpipe and the other pictures of the single rear tailpipe mounting. The side-exit tailpipe (74) in the parts book begs another question - exactly how does the horizontal tab connect to the longer bracket which mounts onto the welded on chassis tab? I suspect the bobbin goes underneath the horizontal tab and sits on the lower “shelf” of the longer bracket? So again, the bobbin is in compression.
Chris

Let me correct myself. I sandblasted my bracket, and I found there was an old repair, it was apparently torn some time in the distant past, and was re-welded more or less straight, but I can see the original weld and how the top was originally at an angle. So I cut the weld and ground it smooth and re-welded it at the angle. So now the bobbin fits better.

Excellent! Good to know, Rob.

Rob, I was under the car the other day, measuring the OD of the pipe stub out the back of the single silencer (1.64" which I suppose translates to 1 1/2"…?) prior to ordering a tailpipe from PD Gough. I will also get them to make up a joining piece with the correct mitre angle to attach the tailpipe to the silencer. While I was at it, I noticed a couple of small lines of weld on the underside of the chassis rail, exactly where you picture the mounting tab for the bracket for side exhaust to be! It seems this tab has been removed at some time, leaving just the weld lines. At least I know where to mount the tab if I ever go to the side-exit tailpipe!
Chris

For Wes or anyone else with a 120 twin system:
Urs Schmid Vol 2 pg 135 shows a rubber mount under the boot edge, which appears to be just a rubber donut with a bolt and nut passing through it, so the rubber is in compression. There is a tab with a hole welded under the spare tire panel and a bridge piece with a hole welded across the two pipes.

Hi XK Folks

The exhaust bracket on the crossmember where the exhaust pipe goes through is missing at our early steel bodied XK120. There are only some welding traces visible at bottom and top of the crossmember…
Could someone please provide a good picture to get me an idea how to do this missing part?
Thank you very much in advance :+1:!
Best Regards
Lukas

1 Like

This one?

Tadek

1 Like

Exact this one :+1::+1:
Thank you very much Tadek and all the best!
Lukas

It’s two pieces of steel 1.25" wide x .94" thick, welded at the top and bottom of the gusset, bent to meet at the right height for the rubber pad and the tab on the muffler to sit on so the muffler front tube is in the middle of the hole in the chassis cross member. There is a hole through both pieces for the stud on the rubber pad.

1 Like

Lukas,

Here is another photo made without any parts mounted. Please ignore the big hole for the (twin pipe) exhaust.

Bob K.

1 Like