1957 Jaguar XK140 Roadster with sandcast SUs- original photos

Roger et al,

Sandcasts on a XK140 + a barn find make it an interesting viewing:

Tadek

Hmmm what a moodily lit barn!

nice find (a bit of work thoughā€¦), interesting to see H8 sandcast on a non C head and non MC car with spats : any comments from those who know about options statistics (or retrofit)?

Yeah, LBI likes to do indoor shooting, but Gullwing where it was before rolls them out into the sunlight.
As found pix on xkdata.
http://www.xkdata.com/cars/detail/?car=812767
Looks like a raccoon or squirrel has been walking on it.
Interesting that it has H8s and CR gearbox but the ā€œAā€ head and fender skirts.
I hadnā€™t seen those little straps between the carb bodies and the fuel bowl tops before.

How long has it been since anyone has seen an XK with snow tiresā€¦

Thanks Tadek,

Same car 812767 was advertised for sale last year by GULLWING MOTOR CARSā€¦

As then, I still wonder if car has been submerged in water - maybe one of the Texas floods from a few years back, showing all the signs of mud and aluminium corrosion on an otherwise fairly straight looking car. The H8s look definately 1950s originals and not Burlen (or other reproductions), but their are clues that tell me they have been added after market, and are not factory original fitment. Still nice to get the H8s, being a bit of a waste on a standard XK140 with A-type head.

And Rob - all H8s should have that ā€˜little strapā€™ between the main body and float chamber lid - its an part number AUC.4984 SUPPORT ARM, made of sheet steel, and with a black-oxide finish.

Isnā€™t the engine number a little later than it should be?

812767 is a September 1956 date-of-manufacture ā€˜standardā€™ LHD XK140 roadster.
Engine Number G8857-8 is a standard XK140 engine with A-type head, and is within expected range commensurate with a September 1956 dom XK140.
So it seems OK to me.
Overall this car looks a pretty honest/original and staright XK140 (so all PLUSES), with the H8s looking like they have been added aftermarket by whoever, but still period correct H8s. Biggest issue (for me) is its underneath/internal condition, as all the mud and corrosion on visible aluminium suggests (to me) having been submerged or in a flood - if fresh water, maybe not much damage, but if salt water (as per the Texas floods) maybe a nightmare. A quick physical inspection would clarify pretty quickly - can see a lot more than pictures in an advertisement.

If you are judging by the peeling tar on the spare tire tray, the snow tires suggest to me that, rather than submersion or flooding, it was driven in snow and on salted roads a lot. Perhaps you donā€™t see that as much in other parts of the world, but we certainly do in our northern states.

1 Like

What Rob said. You donā€™t have salt water flooding anywhere in Texas where you would also require snow tires more than once every 20 years, if that.

1 Like

This car looks freakishly like mine, but together rather than in pieces. Both cars are open two seaters, built within two months of each other. The amount and type of corrosion, oxidation, splitting leather, oil stains and even dirt all look very familiar. Mine also has the Sandcast H8s, but these were clearly added later, but probably close to the time it was new. There is no visible choke knob on the dash where the factory would have installed it (but there must be one somewhere), and the Otter switch on the intake manifold for the original starter carb has not been blanked off. From the photos on XK Data, it looks like the car has a duel exhaust system which would not have been standard; otherwise, this looks like a standard car with the H8s added, but no other performance enhancements we can see. Finally, my car was a California car which presumably never saw snow or floods, but the amount of corrosion is not dissimilar. Anyone know what this car sold for?

They\ve been on all the H8s Iā€™ve had , I presume to support the extra weight of the larger float bowl. Couldnā€™t be for the weight of the fuel as they are intended for lighter alcohol fuels ; >)

I suspect those straps are not so much to support weight but to dampen vibrations.

The SU maker here said it was for the weight. The 3" float bowls have their centre of weight further out from the carbie. The only have one bolt mounting as opposed to 4 on HD series.I f one was concerned with vibration I would expect they made have used a rubber washer at at least one end to dampen vibration.
And the bigger carbs were the only ones to do it to my knowledge
The float bowls Iā€™ve seen in two different lengths out from the carb body.