1962 Mk2-a/c automatic trans input

Can anyone advise if the 1962 Mk2 cars could be ordered with factory a/c? Rear air factory, or dealer installed? Just do not know if a/c was a factory option.
And how well does the rear a/c work in a Mk2 for say 100 degree outside temps?

Also can anyone tell me how well an automatic trans car 1962 drives? Acceptable for cruising around town, not highway speeds? Do they act like a Chevrolet powerglide trans? Have never driven an automatic, but considering one so wife can drive, she prefers automatic. She can drive a stick, but wants an auto, so I am trying to be educated on them.
Any input appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Pre-1972 Jaguar A/C systems were poor and in terms of the early Mk2s, only installed as third party retrofits as far as I know. The 1962 Mk2 was designed in damp England and never tested for 100 degree temps. It will be quite hot since interior air circulation is barely adequate even in much cooler temps.

You should be aware that the 1962 Mk2 manual gearbox does NOT have synchromesh in 1st gear. That means manual shifting is difficult compared to American shift cars you may be familiar with. So if your wife doesn’t like a stick very much, she will certainly not like the Mk2. It’s an acquired taste for sure.

Secondly, the Mk2 stock did not have power steering so the car is a challenge to steer at slow speeds. On the other hand, the car is fine at highway speeds, especially if fitted with optional overdrive. There are also three different engine sizes. The 3.8 is certainly powerful enough for all driving situations.

Are you willing to o some modifications yourself? Kriss Motors makes some valid points as to some of the oddities of the early MK2’s. With some mechanical aptitude and money you can add great a/c and switch to rack and pinion and even an electrical steering assist that will make maneuvering the car a breeze.

https://xks.com/i-22252607-jaguar-electric-power-steering-kit-mk-ii-m-t-14-5515.html

These should point you in the right direction; these kits are made by several vendors.

Gerard

Regarding the automatic: '62s like my 63 came with a Borg Warner DG250 - a three speed. They are a little curious in that the third speed comes by way of locking up the transmission - no torque converter involvement - it’s direct, like a manual. Many change them out for other autos or later manual boxes (all synchro 4 or 5 speeds). Mine runs well after overcoming “too soon” gear changes, by external adjustment. As for you I bought mine to accommodate the good lady wife! The controls include an “intermediate speed hold” which keeps upshifts to second until switched out allowing top gear. It cruises particularly well, slower out of the blocks than a manual, not problematic on freeway given 3.4 engine torque. Happy to advise further. Paul

Suggest folks google the Coventry Foundation or look for them on eBay where they have a shop selling surplus literature and artwork etc. They did come with factory air and it works fine.

The Foundation has the factory brochures and even if they only have one copy of an item I’m guessing they would send a pdf in rerutn for a small donation. Given that their entire mission is to educate the next generation on all things Jaguar, there is no need for anyone to guess anything, just go to the source. They even sponsor students via ma Jag scholarship program. See www.coventryfoundation.org