1963 Lindner Nocker Low Drag Coupe Build

@JerryPeck

Thank you for your earlier suggestion. I have now created what I refer to as the “MegaClamp.” The mouth opening is just a little over 32inches and made from some scrap laying around the workshop. So far it seems to hold tight. I started to weld the hood but stopped because I really needed something to hold the panels more firmly in the middle. Hopefully this new clamp will do the trick. I sprayed it with a little black primer to prevent it from rusting.

5 Likes

That is one big clamp!

You know, I am sensing, at the very least, a lucrative side hustle for you… :slight_smile:

Now we need to see the size of his belt buckle

1 Like

Isn’t that the belt buckle when done with it?

The clamp came in handy tonight. I welded up the left side of the hood to the hood cowl. Good news is my welding can only get better with the amount of practice I am getting. I did a lot of spot welding to prevent warpage in the hood which took forever but it seemed to work.

6 Likes

For everyone that is following the build. I want to give a huge thank you to @D_Barnes who sent me amazing photos of the rebuilt Lindner Nocker Coupe.

He was able to capture photos of so many small details that I would have missed in the build. I cannot thank him enough and how supportive this Jaguar community is.

More to come. Cheers!

2 Likes

Great job so far!
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Wray Schelin’s website.
www.proshaper.com Wray has a school here in Massachusetts and I believe he is the guy who came up with the flexible shape pattern that you are using. He has many in-depth videos on you tube including how to make the flexible shape patterns and videos for just about any metal form you would like to make. He specifically has a video of how to make the pattern for the Jag E type hood and many more of actually making it. I like Lazze’s videos, but Wray seems a bit more in depth.
Cheers

1 Like

Here is the link to the E type fender pattern. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JQgPm4_7s

Like so many others I am humbled by your project, hard work and immense skills - and look forward to seeing what I am sure will be a fantastic finished car.

I don’t have any of your skills but have been “managing” - otherwise called “paying for” - the build of a LN Low Drag for the past couple of years. The body has been going in to paint this week in Gunmetal grey. I have opted for a fast road car with a full interior and half-cage as my serious racing days are essentially over.

The car is being built as a passion project by David Ferguson in California. Body from Poland and engine/box from the UK. All been happening when cash has permitted so there is a while to go yet

7 Likes

That is an amazing car! Thanks for the pictures, and please keep us updated.

A few more…

1 Like

Looking at these pictures might give @Michael_Frank the heebie jeebies…:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

That old saw never grows old: how do you make a small fortune in building a racecar? Start with a large fortune.

My advice: the car is impressive, but keeping your first wife, that’s the real magic.

4 Likes

I still have my first Jag!! Been in the family since new in 1957 (but didn’t always look like this!!)

3 Likes

That (keeping your first wife) is not always a good thing … just personal experience.

4 Likes
1 Like

Glorious! A credit to you.

@jrtm Your metal fabricators in Poland deserve a shout out. Who are they?

The roof structure is attached how? Welding? Bolts? I only ask because in some of your pictures it is not there and then it is.

Many thousands of rivets. The story goes that in period there was a rush to make the two customer cars (out of original roadsters) and the fastest way was to make the body with rivets rather than welding. Obviously there is a lot of welding involved in the body produced today but the rivets are real - and a huge challenge for the guys doing the body prep before paint. Each individual rivet has to be sanded around to ensure the finish you can see