1965 E-Type with 8,134 miles clock goes to auction

Should be quite the time capsule – even has original Dunlop tires

It has the required barn dust. Should do well.

A complete, original car. the inevitable observation:

1 Like

Don’t tell the JCNA Concours judges. They think the evidence of whitewalls is less than that of Bigfoot.

3 Likes

8,000 *original miles, plus OE tires.

IOW…an undrivable car.

:smirk:

2 Likes

Another godawful, worn out “original” car that will require about $50k to make it safely operational, and another $50k to make it perfect from any viewpoint, at which time you have a brand new old car.

True Tom…… but some people enjoy the process ……like me

2 Likes

is there any speedo from any old brit car that shows the actual mileage? These things are too easy to disconnect or replace to actually trust. IMO of course.

Well, if this isn’t proof:

It’s such a tough call
If I had space in the living room
I guess I’d just leave it like that for the money but…….
I don’t know
It’s neat but once you see the rust
I’m on the fence
My 70 had factory whitewalls plus the spare!

I don’t want to re-litagate the whitewall thread but JCNA concours rules do recognize that on the 4.2 cars, white walls are authentic, as they are listed in the SPC. So really, nothing new here in regards to that discussion.

I also do not see the attraction of a pretty rough looking car with (maybe) very low mileage. I would not get any joy from having this car in my garage.

2 Likes

The speedo in Margaret shows the actual mileage.

When it ceased working:grimacing:

6 Likes

It would be fun to see in person or with better pictures. For example the exhaust manifolds look kind of brown or something with a thousand miles on it, but that could be the picture. The hardtop looked awesome, but now that pic has disappeared?

“The dilemma for the winner will be whether to wash off that 56-year accumulation of dust and let this Jag’s original beauty shine through.”

Hope they do, keep it as close to unrestored, as possible: there is a Ferrari like that, and a very minimal resto, to the critical bits, would be my choice.

The question begs to be asked: what mechanical catastrophe forced this car into hibernation? Surely the original owner’s family, who parted with it to its current consignor, passed this info along…?

My guess is overheating, leading to scorched pistons with metal-to-metal transfer. That’s what happened to my '67, in the same year, 1972. One big difference, though: I put another 30,000 miles on mine in two years, with the engine going clackity-clack at idle, reminding me of a certain uncontrollable overheating incident in Sacramento in June at noon.

And, make no mistake, a 1965 E-Type requiring an engine rebuild in 1972 was essentially a near worthless car, except to a hobbiest or wrecking yard for chump change.

I can see the conversation, between the young husband and his pregnant wife:

“It needs a new engine, dear.”
“What’ll that cost?”
“A coupla thou.”
“What’s it worth?”
“With the engine rebuild? A coupla thou.”

1 Like

Well – given the theme of the comments (and I have “no dog in this fight”) then you all ought to enjoy better what Owen’s is doing to a 62 that was dry-stored in 1976. Very original (IIRC - 3X,000 miles). His shop is doing a “mechanical refurbishment” – so far he’s rebuilt the engine, brakes, and front suspension. He has kept untouched (but cleaned up) the original paint, wiring harnesses and the gold paint in the valley of the head – for example . . . he has flipped- flopped on re-chroming - not re-chroming the bumpers

Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Pf5NBurNo
Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-mAz9KUOc

1 Like

I call it a “sympathetic restoration,” like I did to the very original '49 caddy, a few years back.

I like it and will give ten thousand for it, as-is. I don’t want to fix it up, or even drive it. I have space in the building and just want others to know I have one. Much ado about nothing…

1 Like

Buying a car like this would likely be an exercise in frustration. Its originality is what makes it so “special”, but it’s a LOOOONG way from being a useable car. Every component that needs to be replaced to make it useable takes it further and further away from the ‘time capsule’ the person originally purchased.

I feel this to some extent with my car. My car is low-mileage, and highly original, but is also useable, and enjoyable to drive. So, when the original resonators have an annoying leak, do I attempt to weld-repair the originals, do I replace them and save the originals, or do I just replace them, and put it down to the toll of keeping a 54-year old car in useable condition?

This auction car is going to have decisions like that at every turn.

1 Like

Craig;
I know people have different opinions about ,restoration, clean it up, don’t do anything, etc. I have trouble with the mechanical restoration and the ‘cosmetic’ restoration as one is better then the other or not as ‘damaging’ as the other.
Whom ever buys this car should do with it as they want and be happy about it.

Regards, Joel…

1 Like