1965 FHC shifter boot

Hey folks,

I’m working on a 1965 FHC and it has a rubber shifter boot and the leather one. Do I install both??

One or the other not both

Ok thanks that makes the most sense to me.

My 02/65 OTS is rubber.

The rubber one keeps the heat from blasting into the cockpit. I had one fail on the drive to California and Jerry helped me tape it up with gaffer’s tape which helped a lot, but looked bad. The leather one will not keep the heat out, IMO.

–Drew

1 Like

Drew, if I remember correctly, my leather boot has a rubber one underneath to keep the air/heat out.
Tom

1 Like

Drew,
So your car has both rubber and leather installed?

1 Like

My June '66 is in that odd era where the outer boot was rubber. The tower is odd looking compared to the ‘normal’ ones, so yours may be intended for the rubber boot. You can tell by the size of the opening.

Screw that, I installed a leather one - I didn’t want the puzzled looks at car shows.

Hi John the only way to be sure of what you actually require is to note your chassis number and check the parts catalogue or one of the books such as Haddocks…the factory fit section on the UK E forum is a great resource showing original details of unrestored cars…this photo is 1965 1E10658 from the link which is the factory fit section…worth looking through…Steve http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2007

I am not currently near the car, but my recollection is the leather boot fits over top of the rubber boot, but the leather one mounts to the console, attaching to the under side and when the console is removed, it comes off with it. The rubber boot mounts directly to the removable transmission tunnel cover, and comes off if that cover is removed. I thought this is how all the leather boots mount???
Tom

Mine is 1E12806 March of 66. It only had a leather boot.

My 1967 ots has the tunnel cover drilled and tapped plus a metal fixing ring for the rubber boot and the leather boot attached directly to the console.

1E14246. Also has both

The early 4.2 cars had the leather boot with a metal riveted edge trimming or retainer. For cars produced after about November 1964 this was changed to a small aperture console with the rubber boot and no retainer ring. Around June 1965, production was changed to use a vinyl boot that looked like the prior leather ones, but this time the edge trimming was a pressed-on plastic part.

[Info per Haddock and factory fit discussions]

And that’s how mine is done. Whether leather pr vinyl I cant remember

Mine too, but FHC. Rubber boot

Capture

I have a 1967 OTS since 1971, VIN 1E14107. The car had a tan interior with black leather shift boot. As I recall when shopping S1 4.2 cars back then, the 1965 - 66 cars had the rubber boot, and the 1967 cars all had black leather boots–none were color coordinated with the interior of the car. I don’t recall vinyl, but maybe I couldn’t tell…? Anyway, the interior kit from Bartlett’s in 1985 came with matching leather boot that I returned for a black leather boot. I still have the matching boot, as they didn’t want it back.

Kris,
Unless you are the original owner there is no way of telling if the car was delivered as it is now equipped. Jaguar Spares Parts bulletin P.184 dated March 1967 lists a new “change speed gauntlet of “Ambla” part # @1E 13589 in place of the grommet Part # BD.27500 formerly used that was listed on Pg 109 of J37 and Spares Part Bulletin P.144 dated March 1965. The dates are when the bulletin was issued and there is no assurance that they were issued when the change took place. Example: Spare Parts Bulletin P.198 listing the deletion of the covered headlights was dated January 1968, months after the change occurred.
Bob

Mirror image of the other red interior!

1 Like

Duly noted. Mine only had leather originally, but the rubber boot makes a very nice supplemental seal.