1965 S type battery

Good day gents, I wonder if someone could let me know what the AH and CCA of the battery should be for this car please.

Thanks in advance.:grinning:

This is what ourCentury web site recommends fo the ‘S’
https://www.centurybatteries.co.nz/resources/battery-finder/fitment-options/36044

Many thanks Robin, info passed along.:grinning:

holy smoke bro 860CCA!!

that is absolute overkill, enough for any big diesel 4wd

admittedly the huge full size batteries that are original to our cars are naturally going to have more current capability

I generally only consider CCA for starting batteries, (unless many electrical extras are fitted)

have fitted the regular sized auto batteries, and use XJ hardware, as the original full-size hold down clamp is long gone (presumably thrown away by the PO), on 2 other MKX wrecks to

I use a 620CCA battery in my 420G, this is about the most CCA available in a regular size battery, for a very reasonable price. They are rated for the largest petrol motors

Previously have used batteries as low as 450CCA in 4.2 XJ, but would NOT recommend that in cold climate

V12 XJ OEM was 505CCA

Must admit I didn’t check the actual CCA, I could have gone into the garage to check the battery that came with the ‘65 ‘S’ but it was VERY early this morning, was waiting up while the wife finished off some upgrade to the work system.

Jimbov8 ignore the suggestion from the Century web site, I just had a deeper look and the battery suggested is WAY too long.
I have checked the battery that came with my 3.4 and it has a CCA of 550.
Much more realistic.
Sorry for the earlier mis information.

The 420G (dont know about S-type) had a larger battery (and hardware) than XJ and most modern cars. It is the same size as a Diesel 4wd battery

It is much longer, and puts out ~700CCA+

they cost about 50% more than standard sizes

Battery sizes and post location are designated by a number ie 57,58 etc,
all good battery makers, and most car makers will specify a battery NUMBER for your vehicle

If the engine is a 3.4? it should need slightly less crank than a 4.2

afaic, the best battery you are willing to afford is a good investment, if it fails ur stranded

If I had OEM hardware, I would fit a 4wd size (OEM style) battery

No problems Robin, I shall pass on the new info. Thanks again.:grinning: