1966 FHC Alternator / Regulator question

Thanks Frank,

I will switch the two field wires to reflect what you noted (John noted differently). However, the VR negative lug is not seeing chassis ground, instead it sees the Alt field - lug. “more right” way to hook them up is for the F+ connection to be the lug closest to B+". Do you mean that the VR “F” lug is F+ or the VR “+” is that lug F+ ? None of my VR 3 wires see chassis ground. VR has three lugs: +, - and F

Patrick
'66 FHC

On the alternator, there are two lugs below the big B+ stud. The two F wires can be installed either way, but it’s more correct if the F+ wire is closer to B+, which makes it somewhat safer from shorts.

The F- wire from the alternator goes to the F terminal on the regulator. The + and - on the regulator are power and ground respectively.

One small comment/correction. On the Series 1 4.2 cars (with the alternator) the wiring diagram implies that there is no alternator relay. Instead, the F+ at the alternator and the + at the voltage regulator are fed from output 1 of the ignition switch. Same functionality, but hopefully saves Patrick from looking for a relay that he probably doesn’t have on his '66 S1.

-David

Hi all,

I have Alt F- (encapulated by thick plastic) going to Alt F

But Alt F+, does is go to regulator + ?

Thanks,
Patrick
'66 FHC

PS: My '66 FHC lacks a 3AW relay.

So does the Alt F+ go to the VR +

Thanks,
Patrick
'66 FHC

Patrick,

You seem to be very confused, or at least your postings are. You need to use a different term for the alternator end and regulator end of the wires. I suggest that moving forwards we use the following terminology to avoid any more confusion. For terminals on the Alternator, refer to them as “Alt x” where x denotes the particular terminal. For terminals on the Voltage Regulator, refer to them as “Reg x” where x denotes the particular terminal.

So you need to connect:

Alt B+ stud to the positive battery connection post
Alt F+ to the ignition switched +12V on the “1” terminal of the ignition switch
Alt F- to the Reg F terminal
Alt AL - not connected
Reg + to the ignition switched +12V on the “1” terminal of the ignition switch
Reg - to ground (probably the grounding bolt on the firewall nearby)

The later Series 2 cars had the Alt AL wire connected to the 3AW and the Alt F+ and Reg + wires were connected to a relay (which you do not have) which was activated from the ignition circuit - so has the same effect as your circuit, but avoids putting that power through the ignition switch.

All of this, is shown in the wiring diagram(s) at the end of section P.Y. in the Bentley manual. Hope this clarifies things.

-David

2 Likes

Thanks David, I edit / corrected prior confusing posts.

My '66 fhc has factory wiring intact and the voltage regulator has three wires exiting under the VR;
Two of these three VR wires exit harness at the Alt, the third VR wire does not see chassis ground for some reason. The Alt harness includes the thick high current wire that of course is Alt B+
That third VR wire is supposed to be - chassis
But it doesn’t. Tomorrow I’ll see what happens to that ground wire while operating the ignition key (battery disconnected). Maybe that VR ground wire is open when ignition switch is off ? But others have noted that the VR+ is a function of ignition switch 1 position.

Patrick
'66 fhc

there’s supposed to be 4 lugs?

Patrick,

I’d be very surprised if the ground wire to the Voltage Regulator is affected by the ignition switch. If (as I think is true) it just goes to the grounding bolt on the firewall, it is only a few inches long, and may not be loomed in with anything else. You may be able to trace it by hand. I think Geo posted a picture of his grounding bolt in another thread quite recently, and you can see that in addition to the fat battery ground cable there are several thinner wires with ring connectors that are also attached to the bolt. Maybe you have a broken wire or something similar? Good luck!

-David

1 Like

My '66 fhc grounded firewall bolt cable Goes directly to battery ground. And my VR has three lugs and three wires.

Patrick
'66 fhc

The ground wire should be ground at all times.

The “+” post on the VR and the “F+” on the alternator are fed from the same switched source: either the ignition switch or the alternator relay, as discussed above.

Patruck [sic],

This is the photo from Geo that I referred to:

As you can see, there are multiple cables attached to the firewall grounding bolt. One is the fat cable to the battery negative terminal. I suspect that one of the others goes to the Voltage Regulator “-” terminal.

-David

David

When I took front suspension off, for metal work at local body shop, I found just single battery ground strap bolted to firewall bolt, no cluster of ground wires exists on my '66 fhc.

My VR ground wire appears to enter cabin.

Patrick
'66 fhc

I guess that must be one of the areas where your '66 differs from the Series 2s that Geo and I have. Maybe someone else who has a 4.2 S1 like yours can chime in and say where their ground wire from the VR terminates?

-David

Solved ! Hidden behind battery I found a solo open end ground log, it showed continuity to one of the three VR connectors. The VR is now grounded (thanks guys). VR F is hooked to Alt F- (encapulated plastic) and 3rd VR cable is connected to Alt F+ (lug nearest to B+).

Many thanks,
Patrick
'66 FHC

Great! As long as that 3rd connection from VR + and Alt F+ also goes to a 12V source powered when the ignition is on (in your case it should be termianal 1 of the ignition switch) all should be well.

-David