1966 S1 2+2 rebuild....questions

Next quandary…do I use the original single washers (showing their age) or stainless steel replacements with two jets? I am trying to keep original items if possible, but will it detract or keep some character?

Use the ones that work. The replacements I bought for my XK rebuild were useless. No matter what I tried (not exactly rocket science type system) I couldn’t get them to squirt reliably or in the correct position. They were not cheap either.

1 Like

Tex Automotive makes a single nozzle that may be an acceptable compromise:

Tex Automotive Ltd. - Classic Washer Products

A good shout thank you. Still tempted to keep original though…despite life marks

I am refurbishing the hand brake carriers. Now assembled, the operating levers are at different angles to the pad carries (comparing LH to RH)
Is this correct? I seem to remember they were this way when I dismantled them but can’t be sure.
Any advice gratefully received

Hi Phil…as far as i can remember they look wrong…dont think you should have clear access to the nut holding the pad…but its a bit awkward telling you whats exactly wrong…you will just have to jiggle them around a bit till they look right when offered up to the diff/calipers…Steve

Yes…I agree. They don’t look correct. Why would they be different? However, I feel they are Locked in position by the location of the two items that go between the two items (bolts and block). Perhaps I should open it up again

Somewhere in this album of photos are a number of the handbrake mechanism during re-assembly. Maybe something there will help:

Good luck!

I use your archive a lot David. Its what inspired me to do my own blog archive; for the benefit of others and their plight!
There is one great image of the holders separated, but only one side. If both had been shown open, then the position of the block on the pivot arm could gave been compared; as this dictates the position of the other half…

I’m sure from memory that you can rotate the operating arms quite a bit and that they take up their correct position once installed and the cable connected

1 Like

What is the small hole in the bulkhead for? I have seen it on another 2+2 so it must be factory. Why is it there?
It’s the hole between the bottles just below the row of spot welds

Hi,

I’m not sure about the purpose of that hole, but IIRC the windscreen washer bottle and pump are there on a LHD car.

Cheers!

Here’s another image from an unrestored and totally original LHD OTS.
The hole is there too!!
No-one appears to know the reason for it…yet…
IMG_0230.pdf (224.8 KB)

My 67 ots has a hole in the same location. It appears to be smaller than the one in the pictures (Approx 1/16 diameter) and has no sign of a fastener ever being in it.

Didn’t some years of E-Type come with a spare key secured to the firewall with a machine screwe with a large head?? Possible??

Yes… behind the drop-down panel.

Just like mine…its very curious. Someone must know why its there.

My guess would be some sort of factory alignment point.

Two questions for those with the knowledge:

1. Are the radius arms handed? They don’t look symmetrical but only one part number is listed.

2. Have I fitted the spacer to the wrong end of the dampers? Does it matter?

1 Like

Hi Philip…swing arms arnt handed…and spacer fits at the top which it looks like you have done…Steve