1967 420 compact sedan questions

I wonder if there is work around to releasing the two trunk (boot) latches that secure it closed if the manual release lever above the license plate fails to release the two catches.
Second question, are the ribbed cam covers with the cast Jaguar logo original to my 67 4.2 engine. Thoughts or good guesses are welcome Pete

If it jams, push it down hard, and work the release button.

in a worst case scenario, an assistant would be needed to manipulate the locking arms and pry at base of boot lid.

To prevent this, unscrew the 2 metal panels that cover the release mechanism, and lubricate every part of the mechanism, from rods to lock ends (the underside of those panels is the best place to match original vehicle color imo)

there is a lot of adjustment available on the lock down pegs on the body, as well as the bootlid, as any misalignment can cause issues opening or closing

My ‘67–dead original— had smooth covers.

My '67 with original engine has ribbed cam covers.

Could be a case of both of us, being correct, what with the many line changes these cars saw.

parts manual shows ribbed with jag emblem

240 /340 have ribbed cam covers with Jaguar logo !

Interesting: my ‘rent’s was bought from the OO, in 1975–Dad had worked on it almost from new— and it had smooth covers.

Not to say they couldn’t have been switched.

maybe, I reckon the smoothies look better

with the MKX / 420G, that is where the break is…as far as I know, so 67 are ribbed

I dont know what happened in the crossover period, nor 420 history, so maybe an early 420 could have smooth (even if not shown in parts manual)?

Not sure, either: I do have a dim memory of a 420G of a customers, that had ribbed covers.

1 Like

My late '68 420g had ribbed covers.

Just to be clear, mine was a 420, no G.

You have to remember that the 420 was built from August 1966 through September/November 1968 (depending on where they were built) and the Daimler Sovereign through July 1969,

Sometime between 67 and 68 Jaguar changed the XK engine’s cam cover from smooth to ribbed. Therefore a 420 can have smooth or ribbed cam covers depending on build date.

Thanks for that: makes me feel less forgetful!