1967 S1 windshield wipers

My windshield wipers will not return to the flat position when I click the switch to “Off”. They stop midstream and I have to “time” the switch when the wipers are almost in the down position. Is this a switch problem or an issue with the motor ? Thanks

There is a parking mechanism on the rack and your car may also have a fine adjustment control on the firewall.

These motors are great fun to work with. They have a two speed operating mode and a park mode. The park mode is managed using a cam/lever setup that continues electrical contact - to effect proper parking at the bottom of travel - even though the switch has been moved to off position. It then disconnevts independently of the main switch, which takes iver for the next on cycle. It sounds like you may have a problem with the parking system which means - in worst case - opening up the gear end of the motor body to check the operation of the park switch. I would give the motor a few taps with a wooden block and/or small mallet at switch off to see if I could cajole correct operation - might just be that switch needs a clean. Paul

Your problem sounds like a maladjusted park switch. Trouble for diagnosis is that Jaguar used three (at least) different types of park switches into the 70’s, and unless you provide more details about your car I can’t tell what you have. Can you send a photo of the part of the wiper motor that is under the bracket that holds the passenger side bell crank for the throttle linkage? I can tell from that what you have.

Sorry, it is a ’67 S1. I’ll post a pic later. Thanks

This link provides a good view of a wiper motor and the park switch. I used it to rebuild my unit. I took my wiper arms off and let the unit “park”. I then reattached the arms. If your unit shows no issue and adjustment options are unclear, maybe that approach may work. Good luck.
http://etype.chrisvine.com/tag/wiper-motor/

1 Like

Thanks Joe, I will look it up. Not a critical issue since it doesn’t rain much here in Arizona…

The car was painted some time in the past so I’m thinking they removed the wipers and then

Put them back on incorrectly. I’ll check that first

Recently the wiper on my 1988 XJ6 Vanden Plas started acting funky. The wiper worked fine in low and high mode, but when turned to the off position does not return to the park position. Furthermore, on intermittent mode it hesitates several times before completing a full sweep across the windshield.
I am pleased to report that the wiper problem was as a result of a blown fuse. I replaced it, and the wiper is now working as it should.
If anyone is having a similar issue, I would suggest checking the fuse before exploring more time consuming repairs. The fuse is located beneath the glove box on the passenger side.

I think this post needs re-directing to another category. Not applicable to the E-Type…

My bad. I didn’t realize I wasn’t posting to the XJ forum. Sorry!