1968 E-Type Engine Serial Number

I have a 1968 E-Type Roadster with an engine that has the serial number 7E 16366-9. On the Heritage Certificate, it’s given as 7E 16368-9. We believe this car was delivered in Ontario, Canada. The anomaly of this engine number difference appears to be so unlikely as to be a clerical error at the time the car was built. Has anybody out there seen a similar situation? Is there a way to find out if there is an engine number in existence ending in 8?

From the engine number it appears your car was manufactured around late February 1968. You can search for information here. I see no engine numbers that match yours, but there are significant gaps in the database.

Very likely IMHO to be a misread or clerical error. Not a frequent happening but not exactly rare. The certificate info is taken from a hand written ledger that isn’t always clear. That ledger was transcribed into digital which is what is used by JHT now to issue certificates. Two opportunities for errors. You can and probably should contact them and ask for clarification and for them to please go back to the original journals to see if a misread is possible.
pauls

Just went through this with the Heritage trust guys…on my '74 the certificate had a slightly different engine number (one digit off). It was correct on the car’s data plate. Heritage group made a note in their records and wrote it off as a clerical error.

I just checked the data base on my car which I registered in 2000, agaist others of near serial numbers. While I had a title showing it was a ‘67, and I believe Porters book put it a build of Oct ‘66, the data base shows nearby cars to be ‘66s built in early ‘66. I’m going to have to go to the Trust and get the docs on this. If true, then the color I used, Op dark green is a correct year clor for the car. ( it was originally primrose).

Most cars built in September and after were registered as the next model year, some even in August. A clear example of this is the '68 model year production began in August of '67. The '68 model year was the first year that federal safety and emissions came into effect so there’s a clear definition between a '67 model year and a '68. So the first '68s were built in '67 positively but most other model years were the same.

Paul I agree, that’s why I figured that something built in October which is what I thought the build month was would be a ‘67 as shown on the title I received some 20 years ago. But the cars built around my Vin, body, engine, trans numbers are all built in spring of ‘66 and according to the records here are titled as ‘66s. My Vin is 1E12806.

I had a similar quiestion about one of my cars. JDT were kind enough to send me a scan of the original page.

http://www.projectetype.com/images/E134749_copy.jpg

The Heritage Cert for my MK2 shows a different body number to the Vin plate and stamped in the body - never thought to query it but will do so now…