1968 Series 1.5 OTS wiring question

I’m restoring a relatively early 1968 E Type Series 1.5 OTS and currently installing the wiring harnesses. I believe I have the correct harnesses because they match my old ones well, although my old ones have been modified a little and are in very poor shape. I don’t think my schematic is 100% correct for my Series 1.5 so I’m confused about a couple of things. My question: Does a Series 1.5 OTS have a “starter solenoid relay” and an “alternator relay”? My schematic shows one of each but I find no evidence that these components were installed on my original car. Neither the original harnesses nor new ones appear to have the wiring for a “starter solenoid relay” and an “alternator relay”. Based on parts searches, it appears that some Series 1’s, 2’s and 3’s have relays but not the Series 1.5.
Is anyone aware of a Series 1.5 schematic that does not show these relays? Also, I assume a higher amperage ignition switch would be required if no relay exists. Any help clearing this up is greatly appreciated. Thanks

James- I have an early Series 1.5 OTS with no AC and I have modified/created a schematic for my car. You are welcome to a copy, just PM me your email address and I’ll send it.

jhinman@tampabay.rr.com
Thank you very much

James,

My May '68 build car does not have a starter relay but does have an alternator relay mounted to the back side of the mud shield on the left side.

That is what I’m learning. What is strange is that my original L.H. side mud shield has holes for the horn relay but does not have the holes for the alternator relay and neither does a new one. I do believe I need one because it looks like 12 volts will be applied to the alternator and voltage regulator at all times without this relay. Thank you for the feed back.

Jim there were Ser 1 1/4’s and 1 1/2’s. The former’s have the toggle switch dash with open headlights. I’m not sure about their wiring. My '68 is a “true” Ser 1 1/2 (1E17808). The solenoid is on the starter instead of being separate, and has no relay., the alternator has a relay in a place described in other reply’s, and the ignition switch incorporates a start position (no push button start) so is inherently different to the Ser 1 switch. Is it heavier contacts - don’t know.
If you post the serial number of your car I can tell you where it fits in.

My 68 has the rocker switches and open headlights. My car number is 1E16189. Thank you

FWIW…my S1.5 '68 2+2 is exactly the same as Terry describes for his car.

James, your car was built 129 cars after mine, so I would “assume” that the schematic I sent you should be mostly to 100% correct for your car. Out of curiosity, when was your car built? Mine came off the line on October 5, 1967. You might also want to think about adding your car to the xke data website for posterity.

Doug, my Heritage Certificate shows the build date as November 1, 1967. I agree that the schematic you provided is correct. Again, really appreciate that. I will be installing an alternator relay. Will also add my car to the xke data website as you recommend. Thanks

Looks like Jaguar was only churning out around 6.5 Series 1.5 OTSs a day assuming a 5 day work week. That’s lower than I would have expected based on the photos of the production line I’ve seen.

For skiracer. In a Sept 19 post, you said that you have a wiring schematic for a series 1.5 and offered to email it to some one. Is it too late to ask you to email it to me at bnphawley@gmail.com
Thanks

Sent. 20 characters 12345

[16h]

For skiracer. In a Sept 19 post, you said . . . Is it too late to ask you to email it to me
Thanks

[15h]

Sent. 20 characters 12345
UNQUOTE

What took you so long??

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

@^#%!&@^$&#@ 20 chars…

I am in need of this series 1.5 schmatic, please email me one
at jbhawkes@yahoo.com
Thank you for your time

Multiply that by different models all coming down the line at the same time

The autopress jaguar E type 1961-70 workshop manual on page 180 has wiring diagram from SN 1E15980 no starter relay. It’s a small manual but has the different wiring diagrams for the later cars.I had to take it to a copy store and get them blown up to read it.

My early 1.5 also has no starter relay. Not sure but may not have arrived until Series 2.