1969 alternator mounting

I am restoring a1969 etype that the engine was taken apart in the car 30 years ago to install new seals and gaskets and was
Never put back together, I don’t know why, I think he just lost interest. ,over the 30 years the parts where moved several times and mixed in with others.i am putting as much together as I can so I can to see what I’m missing.going pretty good till I got to the alternator and bracket .can’t seem to figure out what I’m missing and how it mounts.this is a no a/c car. Does anybody have some really detailed pictures? Thanks ,terry

Jerry, my car has AC, so it is completely different than yours. If you go to XKEDATA.COM, you can see hundreds of pictures you are looking for.

Hi Terry I have an early 69 E type so I hope these photos will help. I took them while replacing the water pump recently.

Note the spacers between the front of the alternator bracket and the water pump and the delta shaped bracket at the top of the water pump for the tension bar.

BTW my engine only has one fan belt that goes around the wp, jockey pulley, crank pulley and alternator.

Andy 69 FHC

Those are good pictures, I can see I’m missing the bracket on the water pump,and the long bolt on the bottom of the alternator bracket.I think I saw those bushings somewhere tho. Thanks,I will continue with my jigsaw puzzle!

If you’ll excuse some dirty pictures… here are the shots I took as I removed mine (69 S2 no AC). I cannot swear that this is correct but it aligned well and worked before and after I put it back on. I did re-weld the captive nut on the forward side of the bracket - again do not know if that was ‘as original’.

Yours looks almost exactly like my 69, including having the tension bar on the bracket mount and the two belts. The only difference is that mine also has a threaded boss welded to the front part of the bracket that the tension bar could also mount to, so when I redid mine I made up a new spacer and moved it to there, preferring to not have the threads in the cover hold everything. I also think a PO had left something out because the tension bar was not sitting flat. Anyway, this part confuses me, every picture I see of the alternator mounting seems to be different, and I’m unsure what is original. FWIW here’s mine:

jag alt mount small

Mine appears to be the same as Geo’s. Like him, I have no A/C. I have two belts - one from the crank to the water pump via a jockey wheel. The second from the water pump to the alternator.

Note that the alternator has two “legs” on which it pivots. The earlier Series 1 alternator has a single wide “leg” that requires a completely different mounting bracket. The bracket and alternator on Andy Preston’s car look very much like they are of this earlier design. I vaguely recall a similar discussion in the past on this forum where it may have been concluded that Andy’s car had been fitted with the Series 1 setup even though it is a Series 2. Andy, please forgive me if I spoke out of turn…

-David

that is exactly like mine ! my captive nut or boss is also loose and will have to be welded, but its amazing what a difference having a picture makes.

i have three separate service manuals and this is the first picture i have seen where your timing pointer is located in the same place as mines thought i had the wrong one!

David, you have not spoken out of turn and have a very good memory. My car does have a different set up from yours and others and I don’t know if it’s because it’s an early S2, being built in Dec 68. My engine number is 7R 3247-9 and inscribed above the oil filter housing.

My alternator only has the one long bolt that connects it to the bracket.

When I replaced the water pump the standard S2 WP did not fit (the impeller was too large) and I had to fit the one for the S1.5 and early S2.

I have no idea if a PO made these changes sometime in the past or why anyone would do it.

Andy