1969 E Type sold on BAT

As some of you may have noted, a 69 coupe project just sold on BAT for $29,500.
The body looks good in the pictures but the engine does not run, the interior needs replacing and there is rust under the body.
Even so, the price seems low. What mostly held it down; uncertainty about engine condition or rust or something more?

Maybe the engine does not run, the interior needs replacing and there is rust under the body.

3 Likes

Its also not a series one car. They are more valuable.

Regards,
Allen

A running driver-level S2 FHC is valued by Hagerty (#3) at $72.7K. Their valuations tend to be on the high side, but even if that is accurate, I don’t see how you can turn this project into a driver-level car for $45K unless you have the time/skills to do it yourself. The bodywork (sills and floors) are shot judging by the photos.

I think I have to agree with that expert assessment. :slight_smile:

Rotsa ruck to the buyer, who may think s/he hotta bargain.

I wonder about whether or not I got a good deal two years ago when I got my car. Looking at what this sold for, I think I did okay. It doesn’t really matter. I get a ton of enjoyment working on it and driving it.
Dave

1 Like

And I hope that the purchaser of the car in question does the same: I just hope that they realize that at less than 20 grand, the chances of them getting something that isn’t gonna cost them another 30 grand or more, is fairly small.

1 Like

We’ve been inmates in this asylum so long that when we encounter a sane person they seem crazy.

6 Likes

Surprisingly…if one does ALL the resto themselves then it can be done for a lot less then one thinks…
Case in point: take a look at Ed Hollingsworth (my hero) his website:bullfire.net. move to the epilog were Ed summarizes the 5.5 year resto of his tr6 at a total cost of $12k. This does not including the initial cost of $3500 when he bought it in 1980 (basically, Omaha is a place were rust NEVER sleeps).
Now granted…one needs to be able TO DO IT ALL…My goal…for my wife and I is to DO IT ALL…thus why ED is my HERO
Mitch and Vicki

1 Like

I’ve always been a fan of buying cheap and spending a lot of $$ over a lot of years. That probably has something to do with not having a lot of dollars in any given year. :laughing:

4 Likes

I posted the original comment/ question because I am going thru the same process as the 69 project owner will.probably have to do, and I was interested in seeing what you guys/ girls had to say.

I bought 68 2+2 and my friend and I have been working on.it for 3 years with probably another year to go. Unlike the 69 project, my body is good with no rust and little needs to be done with the interior. Engine needed simple rebult but PO had stripped out a lot of parts: distributor and ignition parts, alternator, front shocks, entire exhaust system, brake hydraulic system, etc.

I paid $33k for the car and have spent $55k on parts to date with very little left to buy.
I know I will never recover my cash outlay when I sell.it but have had great pleasure working on it including learning a lot.

Is this a typical story or have I been a sucker?

2 Likes

You have $88k invested. A simple look up at the Hagerty Valuation tool will answer your question.
However, $55K in parts is quite a substantial amount especially if no body work or interior work was needed.

ÂżVerdad? That scarcely seems possible.

Probably a typical story. People over spend all the time on cars, houses etc. Sounds like you have made a lot of great memories with a good friend. Its not all about the dollars and cents.

3 Likes

Plus, if you are capable , or want to learn, doing it yourself probably yields good results too.
If you pay someone else to do it, good luck.
Today with all the “how to” videos there really is no mystery on working on these cars

2 Likes

For me Phillip it’s all about the journey ….sometimes I make a $ sometimes not even wages…other times I’m just happy getting the satisfaction of doing it …right now I have a 68 2+2 that I’m finishing having bought it as a 2/3 finished project …… I won’t make anything on this car but I will have saved one! ……and will give someone a chance to buy a very nice 2+2 and get into an e type at a still affordable level.

2 Likes