1969 Jag S2 FHC, 4.2l Rebuild Story

69 Coupe

Since this portion of the thread is about doors, can I ask HOW best to paint and/or prime the inner portion of the doors; behind the glass etc, area? Obviously, when everything is removed.

Mark’
Murrieta, ca.

David,
Don’t worry about, I don’t!

“she turned her back on stardom, because she vanted to be alone”

Alan

1 Like

I just sprayed primer inside of them as best I could… then scuffed it a bit with sandpaper (didn’t do a good job) and then sprayed it gooooood with paint. I know it sagged and ran inside, but it is protected!!

LLoyd

A step backward, after making a wrong turn, is a step in the right direction.

Kurt Vonnegut

Does anyone have a list of steps/actions in the correct order for assembling the door innerds? After four years of not touching them I’m a little concerned that my recollections of what goes in first, second, third etc might not serve me too well.

Door handle, latching mechanism, then the window lift and frame.

Mark, I pulled all window & lock mechanisms out. (soaked and scraped out the petrified grease). Painted the inside using the POR15 treatment to remove rust and seal with their paint. Almost every unrestored E has rusted doors at the bottom. Its tedious, but I do not think it will rust out in my lifetime. / Dave

Thanks Wigs but I believe one needs to install the rubber window wiper (or whatever it’s called) before the window frame and glass first?

Yup, frame has to be removed. I just had to do this last week. It wasn’t fun because my chrome side trim is glued down for appearance.

Woops! Forgot that part! And…yes.

Is it possible the head itself; perhaps leaking valves could be reason for lower compression ? You should be seeing at least 150. Do you know if you have 8:1 pistons ?

Patrick
'66 FHC

1 Like

That was the case with mine, thank god.
Low on #2…thought ah sh*t…

Manifold off, when performed wet test i noticed it blowing out the intake port.

Leakdown test confirmed…whew.
Clearance on several intake, nothing.

Signs the head off in recent times noted.

9:1 pistons!!!

At 9:1 it should read much higher.

Patrick
'66 fhc

I can picture prior owner trying to do shim clearances, it can be a pita experience. He probably said himself, awh…thats close enough!

Patrick
'66 fhc

1 Like

So after investigating the rust issue on the drivers side sill, I started MAJOR disassembly of every component forward of the bulkhead.

Question #1: has anyone in Texas/Ok done a complete car dip to bare metal and had satisfactory results to recommend a vendor (pm)?

Question #2: If the rust appears to be limited to the drivers sill/forward floor pans, battery shelf area, Should I consider just doing those repairs and not stripping the car to bare metal?

Worse. They completely didn’t care…
I hate that above all.

Most people just get it media blasted. You might want to ask CJ who they use.

In for a penny…

Based on what I saw, there’s no way, at this point, Id paint over ANY of what was there.

Get it soda or media (plastic) blasted, do if right.

Erica: Is “media blasted” noted because Etype metal is much heavier than thin modern/car metal ?

Patrick
'66 FHC