1969 Jag S2 FHC, 4.2l Rebuild Story

Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, Solar.

Cant go wrong!

Miller mig and spot machines and a Lincoln tig, here. All great at what they’re designed to do. I use all three for bodywork. Hobart another great name. No experience with Solar.

2 Likes

Cut off bottom outer sill to reveal the rust damage. Also took off the door to find the edge of the outer sill at the door frame edge. Why didn’t they design the 4 main bolts that hold the hinge to the door with clearance to get the damn screw OUT? Remove the door seal to discover these sheet metal screws. Is that original? With the point sticking through into the door hinge area?

Mine has pop rivets, placed from the inside, in that location. I also agree about the joy of the bolt locations in the door, at least it is a light door.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, there is a small steel channel that holds the seal and it is riveted in the door channel from the inside. In your pictures I do not see the detachable channels. They are small pieces of metal that have the edges turned in so the seal can be pushed into them and then placed in the door channel and riveted from the inside. Those screws are not stock.

A Post Seal Retainer RH

£8.72 inc Vat

Product Code:

BD23654

On closer inspection of your second picture I do see the retainer covered with adhesive (?) The screws are not original.

1 Like

Ah, yes: you are correct. Been YEARS since I looked at one, and you are correct.

It’s been a few years for me too, and I now remember that the seal is glued to the retainer and then riveted to the “A” post. I drilled out a small amount of the seal at the rivet hole so the rivet would not push or bulge the seal . I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive to attach the seal to the retainer. It is easier to install these with the door off, but it can be done with the door on. When I painted my car I had all the panels and doors attached and aligned so I didn’t remove the doors to install the seals. I left the seals loose at the top of the body, lowered the glued retainers down the "A’ post, and then applied adhesive to the top along the cowl and then riveted the seal retainers from the inside.

1 Like

What Jeff said. Looking several inches above the top screw I can see a ledge indicating that the seal channel is a separate part (as it should be). On the inside photo I can see what looks like an old hole an inch above the screw which is where the original rivet would have been. No idea why they would have ever removed it, or reinstalled it wrong. You have to be an automotive archeologist to figure out why DPOs do what they do.

2 Likes

Update. Removed the trim and unless they used the drilled out rivet holes and ran a screw thru them, there was no additional holes.
Can’t make out the complete part number written on the back; “BD25xx21”

Maybe the factory ran out of rivets that day. :slight_smile:

No, that is a Dumbass Previous Owner move. They used two different size screws and enlarged the holes while doing it. The holes in the body shell will be enlarged too. I would weld the holes in both body and retainer and re-drill them. But then, I am CDO, ( OCD in alphabetical order)
Steve, if you go to SNG or another vendors websites, they will have drawing breakdowns on every part or assembly of your car, plus part numbers.

1 Like

If you ask them they will send you a paper copy, it is about an inch think, and has diagrams with part numbers for everything on the car. Love that book.

I think you need to buy something, ask them to include one in your order free, otherwise you will have to pay separate shipping.

I assume you are referring to the excellent XKs Unlimited catalog. I tore the pages from the binding and eliminating all that do not pertain to my car - then 3-hole punched and put them in a binder. It is an great reference and easy to use with all extraneous info deleted.

No, I’ve used the XK version online, but the one I was referring to was SNG.

I may have the wrong SNG catalog as the one I have is about ¼" thick and pretty sketchy. The XKs version is sometimes as useful as the Service Manual.

The SNG catalog I have covers Series I and II and is 550 pages and 7/8" thick, weighs about 3-1/2 lbs. Somehow I wound up with two of them. My spare is free to whoever wants it.

Edit: It’s been claimed.

I bet @69Cat will like it!!!

1 Like

Anyone have experience with this intersection of panels? I’m trying to remove the remainder of the patch job and original outer sill. I’ve melted out the lead and ground out the skip welds, but unclear what is part of the wing edge wrapped over the out sill.

By the way: am sending you ALL my leading tools, too!

1 Like