1969 Jag S2 FHC, 4.2l Rebuild Story

Steve,
Next time you are in Austin, let me know if you want to see what my car looks like after the body work and paint done this summer.

–Drew

1 Like

That car looks alot like mine!

Ok, now I like the gaps on your car.

On the left hand door, is that the rubber seal poking out the top in front of the sideview mirror?

It does a bit … yours is much nicer.

Thanks Nick.

Had here out the day before yesterday, going like a dream.

Yes it is Steve,

It is the original seal. It has lost its shape a bit and it has squished out!

Although I have changed every nut and bolt mechanically, the body has never been apart or been welded.

Must get around to waxing her soon.!

She is a beauty and an exact duplicate of mine except where the driver sits! :crazy_face:

Is yours called “Silver Gray”? My Jaguar Heritage Certificate calls mine silver gray but I haven’t found a color spec for it and now that I have exposed some of the older paint behind the door panels etc. I can see that the current paint job is a bit darker. I am considering when I repainted going back to the lighter original color but maybe adding a little bit of depth to it. Maybe pearlize it. I haven’t been able to define whether silver gray and opalescent silver gray are the same.

Thanks Steve,

My car came from the West Coast of the USA, was manufactured in 1969 and re-imported to the UK in 2014. It belonged to a doctor called David Tinker for many years when it was in the USA and has done 73,000 miles.

I was determined to buy one that didn’t need floors and rockers. I was lucky-mine is solid.

It was up and together when I got it but I replaced every moving part and consumable and sooped up the motor somewhat. Although it came with triple SUs, I have had it on throttle bodies for a couple of years now and it flies down the road. It has a 2.88 rear. The 3.51 diff was a bit fussy to say the least with a 4 speed box at 90 mph. I also converted it to RHD.

The color is Jaguar Opalescent Silver Grey for which there are 2 shades, light and dark. Mine is the light shade.

My local car paint guys matched the color perfectly in an Aerosol for touching up. Confusingly the Jaguar color is the same color an Aston Martin color -Silver Birch - Code 44938.

It is a 2 part system with base coat and lacquer. I have just never put any lacquer on, so my car has a somewhat worn “vinyl” appearance. It has been like that for a few years now.

Here I am overtaking an ambulance!

James

How do you remove this piece? There’s so much horse hair from the padding I can’t tell if there is screws under there or rivets or…

Got a magnet? You might stumble upon the fasteners.

Give that horsehair a little soak with thinner. With luck It should wipe right off so that you can see what you are doing. No free flame in the area.

I think you will find that piece is part of the tub!

It was upholstered so I made an assumption. So they just wrap the vinyl around it.

1 Like

Removed the rear hinges, finished removing the sound deadening and upholstery on the back behind the seats. Oh and I’ve already used almost 500 marking tags out of 1000 I was thinking it would be too many but apparently not!

1 Like

Note the location of those boot hinge spacers. My hatch was out of alignment until my guy worked on it and I never even knew there were spacers there. Someone had removed all of the spacers, probably when the previous respray was done many years back.

–Drew

2 Likes

My inclination is to drill out the rivets and remove the seal retainers around the quarter windows before stripping.

All in agreement?
All opposed?

I agree. I left mine in and they got painted. If I had taken them out I could have improved all the hammered down areas that make fitting the seal a bit more difficult. Plus sealing the metal seal holders against water will probably be easier. People use caulk or even dum-dum.

—Drew

Clip Remain… Clemain?

:crazy_face:

Steve;
I agree with Drew. Remove the rivets and clean the seal retainers and paint them. I used 3M weather seal (black sticky stuff) on the back of the seal retainer to seal against water. Thin strips and the pop rivet placement compressed the stuff nicely.

Regards, Joel.

+2. I’d have removed mine, but I didn’t think about it at the time