1969 Jag S2 FHC, 4.2l Rebuild Story

Steve,
I bead blasted my canister and the associated metal parts down to bare metal including the bottom part as well as I could reach the nether regions. Then I painted them with Hammerite Hammertone Silver spray paint (ordered from Amazon). The first time the paint did not hammer properly and simply looked like a poor silver paint job. Living in Texas the heat can make spray painting a problem and I tried again and again until I finally figured out the secret. Immediately after painting the pieces I lightly misted them (a very fine mist) with mineral spirits and they hammered up nicely. After drying they were near perfect. YMMV.

–Drew

1 Like

PS: I did not paint the knob to tighten the air filter in place shown in your final photo and left it bare (and did not blast it).

experimenting with techniques to coat the air box…
I have spoken to 2 different powder coating people near me and there seems to be an issue with the details of the embossed lettering being removed during sandblasting and further by the powder coating thickness. So I may use a rattle can to achieve the effect. Some samples. The air box in the background I’m hoping to match.
Also working on a “high octane” blend!

That raised lettering wil not be removed, by bead blasting, and will not be obscured by powder coating. I would not sand blast that thin a metal.

The stamped numbers may be slightly lessened by powder coating, if that’s an issue.

Some makes a good case, too: Powder coating will get into the snorkels and protect them from rusting.

I had mine powder coated, and presumably bead blasted or sand blasted by the shop prior to it, the raised letters are still plainly visible on mine, unfortunately its in the car and not easy to photograph.

Also I dont see an issue with the thickness, although I have never looked to see if the stamped numbers are on mine. they could be buried in paint, not sure, but overall I was happy with the results. plus they did the interior and down the tubes, all the latches etc, been six years or so but its held up nicely

but I have seen very nice results with a rattle can too.

Mine is powder coated. I can’t remember how they blasted it, but it was probably bead blasted. The lettering is still visible.

May your experimentation require many days of blissful contemplation …

2 Likes

You were the first to notice! The nice thing about these Jags is they provide almost as much enjoyment sitting in the garage as they do on the open road… almost!

Notice the brew is called “Blind Faith”

1 Like

I like the way you threaten your components with the trash can - shape up, or I will just open the lid and you’ll be gone to the landfill! :grinning:

1 Like

You shoulda heard the threats I’ve made to various automotive conveyances: I’d use a smoke axe, as motorvation…:crazy_face:

This is what my professionally media blasted and powder coated air box looks like. YMMV.

2 Likes

That looks great! So the letters lost a little detail but nothing like what I was told. Plus, it has the durability of powder-coating. Could you DM the cost they charged you for comparison? -Steve

Steve, Sorry - I looked at my expense ledger and unfortunately I did not detail every item - I just brought a bunch of cleaned parts and he would media blast and powder coat a box at a time for like $50…but this was several years ago. Nice clean parts ready for assembly some day before too long!
This was powder coated in “silver wheel” color.

Generally, powder painters do a minimum charge—mine is a $100–and for that, they’ll do a fair amount.

Ok, so $400 for the air canister is totally out of line.

Um, yeah. (plus 20 characters)

Good lord, yes!!! Geez… ship it to me , and you’d save money!!!

I have a home powder coating kit, brandy new, all you need is an old household oven…:wink:

That’s insane. I think I got every single black part on the car coated, plus beaded my carbs, hubs, frames, and a bunch of other stuff for about a grand.

Does the 23 yr old one in my kitchen count!!! My wife is gone MOST of the day…

Only if you don’t get caught…:grinning: