1970 E-Type Series 2 Air Conditioning

My Series 2 restoration project came with factory air which did not work. I plan to replace with a new RetroAir unit in the future. However, although it may be a long shot I have some wiring questions accompanied by photos.

I do have the service manual

![A4FD9519-BA5E-4C43-B5B9-9F0A82B3BE17|666x500]
(upload://pFLdDDgGYYOZKiVNncWU5GKnbWK.jpeg)

This is the area above the passengers knees where the AC Motor resides. Lots of wires to nowhere. The wiring diagrams do not show that large gauge W/R wire. It also shows up with a taped connector on top of my gearbox.

The wiring diagram for the AC system shows only two wires connecting the AC motor. One B and one R.

Here’s my old original unit.

Any clues?

These two photos didn’t paste to original post. Motor housing area and original unit.

At least some of those wires are for rear brake lights , hand brake/ brake fluid warning, fuel pump, starter motor solenoid, rh flasher and earth

If you look at your wiring diagram you’ll soon see that most go to the loom running down the right side of the car to the rear.

But several have nothing to connect to! Possibly options that my car doesn’t have, like rear window heat? My big question is the white/red wire that is just visible top center, next to the black wire. This same color/gauge is the same shown above the gearbox, and another located behind the left side of the dash. The only W/R wire I see on the entire wiring diagram is for the starter circuit from the relay to the solenoid.

Those 4 wires that are unconnected appear to be Brown, White/Yellow, White/Red and Black. They are located under the far right side of the dash against the side panel of the car. This is the location of the Starter Relay for the 1969 and early 1970 (prior to the introduction of the ballast resistor) Series 2s.

That relay had four wires which were (wait for it… :grinning:) Brown, White/Yellow, White/Red and Black… I would suspect that either (A) your car was built just after the introduction of the ballasted ignition which caused the starter relay to be re-located to the engine bay mounted on the firewall and the wiring harness included wires for both configurations, or (B) the harness in your car has been replaced with one that addresses both relay locations, or (C) somebody stole your starter relay… :grinning:

3 Likes

A is correct! My starter relay is on the firewall next to the wiper washer reservoir. So now I know the extra wires are just that. Extra. Thanks for your help and knowledge!

Bob
1970 Series 2 Project

Man, I hate when that happens.

Because I am cleaning up my garage, and it’s got a bunch of stuff in it, I have come to the conclusion that people break in, and leave things.

:smirk:

4 Likes

My garage is built above an ancient Indian burial ground. Anything I drop disappears and is never seen again.

1 Like