1970 S2 E Type roadster engine no location?

Hi

Could anyone tell me where I can find the engine + chassis number is on a 1970 4.2 E Type roadster?

Not sure if it is lhd or rhd!

Pics would greatly help as well.

Many thanks.

julian67@mail.com

Should be located on the leftside of the engine where it meets the bell housing. This is approximately
where the engine oil dipstick is located. It may not be visible if there
is a build up of oil and dirt. Use a bright flashlight or drop light and
you will see it. The numbers are about 1/2 inch tall.

(the above paragraph was copied from a previous post using the search function)

Hi

Many thanks.

Bit of a garage ‘saga’ as the previous owner died and left up to his elderly widow to track it down. The garage owner’s premises burnt down and he moved. I met this woman by pure accident in S. of France and told her I’d try and track down the paint shop. As luck would have, I found the car after 12 years. Now he wants storage fees! He never bothered to contact the owner. If she decides to sell it, I hope to buy it.

But this info you kindly gave me will be helpful to her when she meets him soon.

Thanks again,

Keep well,

Piers

www.fitzwinslow1.shutterfly.com

On my 1969 S2 the engine number is on the right siade of the engine, just above the oil filter:

Do not expect to be as obvious as this, also if the carbs are on you will be peeking between them.

It may also be on the edge of the flywheel:

What you call chassis number is probably what Jaguar called Car Number - it can be found on the top of the ‘picture frame’ at the front right of the engine bay:

By 1970 on a U.S. car there would also have been a metal tag somewhere near the lefthand A piller with that same number - in the U.S. called the VIN.

Hi

Many thanks.

modst helpful.

Keep well,

Piers

Actually as early as the 1969 model year.

Hi John,

Many thanks.

Keep well,

Piers