1971 S3 FHC Owners: What Does Your Operating Manual Look Like?

My recently-acquired 1971 Series 3 FHC came with what appears to be an operating manual for a 1972 or 1973 roadster. The date on Page i is 1972, and the photo on Page ii is a roadster. The manual also refers to remote-control mirrors and a double fresh air system, neither of which mine has. What date does yours have and is there a photo of the FHC? Thanks.

My handbook is blue in colour with a 2+2 on page ii. I believe the US spec handbook is a beige colour (not sure what it contains) presumably that is what you have?

I have a 1973 roadster, and it is beige , as Mr.Mann suggested. The car is equipped with remote control mirrors (I put one on the right side, not a factory option) , and the double fresh air vents down in the footwells. I hope this is of some help. Happy motoring ! John

I have recently had published in THE E-TYPE magazine a most comprehensive paper on E-Type Literature Packs, and indeed that of course includes V12 E-type Handbooks.

All V12 E-types, regardless of the market destination, initially received a short lived first issue Handbook numbered E.160/1 as clearly shown at the lower right of the face/titles page. See photo:-

As you can just see this has the mid/light-blue card cover, and note in the E.160/1 number, the ‘E’ stands for English Language. There was a F.160/1 in French and a G.160/1 in German.

This was soon superseded by a revised E.160/2, then E.160/3 and finally for UK and all world markets the final E.160/4 issue - all still looking identical on outside blue cover.

For the USA/Canadian market although initially receiving this same E.160/1, /2, /3 handbook for the USA 1972 MY cars, USA market cars received the E.160/4 Handbook AND a separate USA only E.170 Supplementary Handbook subtitled 1972 MODEL YEAR CARS.
For 1973 Model Year cars - USA/Canada market only, Jaguar provided a single all encompassing handbook, now numbered A.173/1 (A = America) with a cherry-red cover, with a later reprint A.173/2 also printed.

For 1974 Model Year Cars - USA/Canada market only, and covering OTS only given the 2+2 was never homologated to USA 1974MY requirements - a new A.181/1 Handbook issue, with a yellow/beige coloured cover, and again a later reprint A.181/2.

Now Fenner.
If your car is indeed a ‘1971’ it most certainly should have the earlier BLUE covered E.160/x handbook, but can you please advise both your exact Chassis Number, and also the exact E.160/x publication number.
There is still some loose ends re exact dating of the earliest E.160/1 issue, and indeed a recently discovered interim E.160/B1 issue, and a possible reference to a E.160/1A interim issue, both dating prior to the revised E.160/2 issue.

1 Like

My Chassis No. is 1S70484BW, and the beige manual I have has a 1972 date and a publication no. A.181/2. I appreciate your providing on this manual. (By the way, the “BW” designation for the Borg Warner Automatic Tranny is about to be history as I’m just a week away of a 4-speed transplant!).

And I found this blue manual on eBay, but it’s “UK Specification.”

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1717-0984-New-Jaguar-V12-S-3-XKE-UK-Specification-Owners-Manual-/371529924971?hash=item5680e8c16b:g:V~YAAOxy0x1TPuAA&vxp=mtr

Is there anywhere I can buy a repro of the E.160/1 version of the handbook. I have the E.160/4 version but would also prefer to get a copy of the version that would have come with my car - an Aug 71 build.

Thanks

Garry

My 1S71641, built June 4, 1971 has the light blue E.160/2 book. I am not the original owner and no other publications were provided when purchased in 1988.

Joe

Me, too, for a December 1970 build date.

Joe,

My research into these Handbooks is consistent with your advice of the E.160/2 issue being correct for your June 1971 built E-type.
Fenner’s 1S70484BW being built in Dec 1970, prior to the official launch in March 1971 would however originally have had the E.160/1 first issue of Handbook which was a rushed effort, and not completed in certain areas, but not with respect to being for a LHD 2+2. The roadster detail for instance still inaccurately describes the Series 2 E-type soft-top raising and lowering process, and not the quite different V12 arrangement, but given only three OTS had been built by the end of Dec 1970, as apposed to about 523 LHD 2+2, this wasn’t going to matter that much.

But Fenner, sorry, I am not aware of any reproduction E.160/1 Handbooks being made, so I would grab the E.160/2 reproduction you saw on EBay - that’s as good as it gets. The “UK Specification” is meaningless, as this E.160/2 issue was identical and supplied to all V12 E-types worldwide, regardless of being a UK or USA delivery.

Its only when you get to USA 1972 Model Year cars that USA cars got anything different - still the E.160/4 issue Handbook as supplied to all cars, but also received a USA only E.170 Supplementary Handbook.
USA 1973MY cars now got their own cherry-red covered A.173/1 Handbook, but all other world markets continued to receive the blue covered E.160/4 Handbook.

Garry,

AS above, your August 1971 V12 should also have an E.160/2 Handbook and not your current E.160/4.
But note, I believe the E.160/2 handbook was superseded in November 1971 by the next issue - E.160/3 - and for all English speaking world markets.

Roger

Thanks Roger - I must admit until this thread came up I had not given this any thought at all. I bought the E.160/4 Handbook at an Autojumble sale in the UK 34 years ago and has served me well with few inconsistencies with my car - though most drawings but not all are left hand drive but the book itself covers both LHD and RHD.

Cheers

Garry

Interesting topic… I own 1S70526BW the third car off the line 4 Jan 71 and the only one painted Ascot Fawn that day :slight_smile: Currently it has a tan manual. Based on this thread, it should be a blue E.160/2?

I also track publications and changes:

My notes for E.160 series are:
E.160/B1 Changed pg 38: Label pasted over Recommended Hydraulic Fluid
E.160/2 Changed pg 38: Reworded Recommended Hydraulic Fluid
Both printed by Hudson Buckler & Webb Group Birmingham with 70 pages.

What issue of The E-Type Magazine is your article published in?

Most interesting pg703 (do you have a name?)
Actually for your 1S70526BW I would think it was more likely the E.160/B1 manual is your original issue, rather than E.160/2 which came later, but I am only at early stages of trying to sort out some chronology for these earliest issues of the V12 E Handbook. (Do you know for sure, exactly where your E.160/B1 handbook came from, and indeed your E.160/2 ?)
My papers as published in THE E-TYPE magazine are my best efforts as of the date of publication, and indeed in part where I detail all the V12 E-type Handbooks I only detail E.160/2 and later, but make it clear that logic would suggest there was also an E.160/1 just that I had never seen/confirmed one to exist. I had two readers contact me with confirmed examples of E.160/1 with a 1970 built LHD 2+2 (ex-USA, now in Australia) and a 1970 built RHD 2+2 in UK, and was able to borrow the Australian handbook and do a full scan, and thus a very detailed line by line comparison with what I thought was the next superseding E.160/2 issue, and indeed added a follow up piece re the now confirmed existence of the E.160/1 issue in the next issue of THE E-TYPE magazine. Then by chance, I was directly approached by a Canadian with an exceptionally original/fully documented Canada new 1971 2+2 re other matters, so I asked about his Handbook - and he advised it was a then unheard of (by me) E.160/B1, and as luck would have it, within a week I had found and purchased another E.160/B1 out of Indiana, which again I have now done a line-by-line comparison of, which reveals it to be far removed from the ‘prototype’ standard E.160/1, but nearly the same as the fully developed E.160/2 (as per your note re p.38, plus also very minor changes on p.2 and p.39), so the intention is for another follow up for THE E-TYPE magazine, but first I am trying to now establish full details of a known to exist E.160/1A handbook.
What is most important with this type of research is certainly establishing what exists initially, but then its most important to establish a reliably confirmed status of the exact date of the car the handbook was originally supplied with, and with these V12 E-type handbooks it is most complex given these E.160/1, /1A and /B1 seem to be a belated development by Leyland to have an up-to-date handbook ready for the March 1971 launch of the V12 E-type.

My papers on E-type Literature Packs covering the full 1961 to 1975 E-type period were published from December 2015 to April 2017 over 15 issues of THE E-TYPE magazine, with the Dec 2016 issue covering the V12 E-type HANDBOOK aspect, with the follow up re E.160/1 being in Feb 2017 issue.

If you subscribe well and good, otherwise back issues are available, or if you have trouble accessing I can send you direct scanned copies.

How do you tell the difference between a genuine Handbook and a reproduction - I have two books one has Copyright Jaguar cars at the bottom of the first page the other does not have any copyright information - I assume the first is genuine and the second is not.

garry

Garry,

The most prolific reproduction Handbooks offered all over the internet and from most online suppliers are done by BROOKLANDS books and are clearly marked as such (usually on inside of rear cover), indeed often also show Printed in Hong Kong, so you don’t even need to consider other things such as the very very different card and paper quality, far too glossy and smooth.

The biggest giveaway generally - for me having studied these for years - is paper quality, card-cover quality, reproduction clarity of photos, and in many cases exact cover/paper size.
The main whole-car photos in reproduction handbooks invariably are darker and loose a lot of definition/sharpness relative to the original as-printed photos, readily apparent compared alongside each other.

But tell me what issue number you are talking about, as once you get into the 1970s (thus V12 E-type period), under Leyland ownership, a variety of printers were used, and indeed changing COPYRIGHT details/ownership, whereas it was all pretty straight forward in the 1960s (and 1950s) .

Roger

Roger

The E. 160/4 version I have is most likely an original document as the first page a copyright statement Copyright Jaguar Cars British Leyland UK Limited 1972 and was printed by Haines Clark in Birmingham. Also it was purchased in the early 80s when repro probably did not exist in any quantity.

The E.160/2 was advertised as a repro so no illusions there. It does not have any Copyright statement like the other version and does not have producer or printing information. The quality if print is good but not as good as the other book and the cover is a bit darker but the other may have faded a bit as it is 45 years old.

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately, my E-Type documentation is not readily at hand. I will be able check it out later this month and give you feedback.

Pete

OK Pete,
Thanks for update.
Look forward to your advice when able.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have an E.160/B1 and E.160/2. I did a line-by-line comparison below are the results:

The difference in language used between E.160/B1 and E.160/2 regarding the water temperature gauge is startling.

E.160/B1 E.160/2
p2: Water Temperature Gauge p2: Water Temperature Gauge
Should the indicator advance into the Red segment, the engine is overheating and the cause should be investigated immediately. Should the indicator advance into the Red segment, the engine is running slightly warmer than usual, providing there is no loss of water in the cooling system, there is no cause for alarm.

p33: OVER DRIVE UNIT (If fitted) Not addressed
Clean air filter EVERY 12,000 miles X EVERY 36,000 miles X

pg37: Super Visco-Static 10W/ 40 pg37: BP Super Visco-Static 10W- 40 or 20W-50
pg37: U.C.L pg37: BP U.C.L
pg37: Energol SAE 30 pg37: BP Super Visco-Static 10W- 40 or 20W-50
pg37: Gear Oil SAE 90 E P pg37: BP Gear Oil SAE 90 E P
pg37: Limslip Gear Oil 90/1 pg37: BP Limslip Gear Oil 90/1
pg37: Energrease L.2 pg37: Energrease L.2
pg37: Autran B pg37: BP Autran B

pg:38 Printed: “RECOMMENDED HYDRAULIC FLUID Braking Systems and Clutch Operations Castrol-Girling Brake/Clutch Fluid to specification S.A.E. J1703/A is recommended. When this is not possible only fluid guaranteed to conform to S.A.E. J1703/A may be used as an alternative after fully draining and flushing the system”. Paper label affixed over section: “RECOMMENDED HYDRAULIC FLUID Braking Systems and Clutch Operations Use ONLY Castrol Girling Brake Fluid (Green) This fluid exceeds the requirements of specification S.A.E. J1703a having a higher boiling point”. pg38: “RECOMMENDED HYDRUALIC FLUID Braking System and Clutch Operation Castrol-Girling Brake/Clutch Fluid (Green). This fluid exceeds S.A.E. J1703/A Specification”

Many thanks for that Pete, a great and very thorough effort.
Do you know exact cars both/either of your E.160/B1 and E.160/2 Handbooks were originally supplied with?
(Helps ascertain demarcation dates of respective editions, and as per your comparison, nothing particularly dateable with text changes)

The p.2 Water Temperature rewording is pretty significant, as you say.
The p.33 deletion, clearly an error, so deleted
The p.37 changes, mostly just adding BP prefix (albeit the BP Autran B already did include BP prefix), but two actual changes.
. I also have a loose-sheet insert with red-text, amending the heading Final Drive Unit (“Power-Lok”) refill to be as printed in E.160/2
The p.38 revised Text label pasted over old as-printed text, is same as my copy of E.160/B1

But that’s it - I agree, not a lot of variation at all, certainly nothing like the many changes between E.160/1 and E.160/B1, nor indeed between E.160/2 and E.160/3 .

But a question - per chance does your copy of E.160/B1 include any associated loose MAINTENANCE CHART or WIRING DIAGRAM as are found with E.160/2, /3 and /4. Yours is only the third copy of E.160/B1 I am aware of, and neither of the other two include these loose charts/diagrams, thus so far, no proof they actually do exist.

Roger