1972 flexplate xj6 for stock transmission

So in regards to flex plates. Some other person put a and transmission from a 77 xjs the problem is a kick down cable and leaky rear seal. So I have decided to put in the original trans in my 72 series 1 xj6. So the granny from the xjs has a flexplate. I have the original torque converter and flywheel to the stock trans. Question can I use this faceplate or should I just put stock flywheel and torque converter. Is the converter from xjs the same has my stock they look different??? Can someone give me some advice in what to do. I held of on putting trans in so I could get some advice from everyone because I don’t won’t to do it over has its a pain in the neck lol cheers much appreciate.the help.

Are you questioning whether you can use the torque convertor and the flywheel together?

My observation is that the 71 used a FLYWHEEL
and converter to match. And the 77 used a FLEXPLATE and converter to match.

Is it a mix of terms or a mix of parts.

My answer would be use the 71 stuff, all of it.
Mix and match might introduce an unbalance and the vibration that ensues.

Oh, one more!!! A big one!! The 71 is a BW product. Is the 77 a GM product!!!

I’lll leave motive out of the discussion, at least for now…

Carl

I will presume your current trans from the XJS is a GM auto, and the original '72 is a Borg-Warner 12, not a manual.

If that is the case, I suspect you would need to use the original torque convertor, bell-housing and ring gear with whatever flexplate/flywheel it had originally

Robin wanted to leave the flexplate on instead of heavy flywheel

Carl yes mismatch parts the xjs transmission is bw but aluminium body it’s lighter also. So probably a 65/66 bw? I’ll take your advice use all original 72 stuff,flywheel etc . Take of flexplate. Cheers

Tony its bw auto 65/66 not sure no tag missing. Tony i know if I use mixed stuff there could be a chance of problems. The bell housing is slightly different the tc is also not same it seems the shaft from xjs is smaller . So not sure if I should use flexplate.with original trans, and tc. Thanks mate

I think that is a fact, Sawyer - there was a change at some stage…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

At least the XJ borg warners had a cooling fin on the 65s and none on the 66. The input shaft or splines were the sump was deeper and the pickup had a spacer. Etc.

Frank yes lots of changes. I decided to go with all original in regards to series one equipment. The other things i did not realise is the transmission mounting assembly is an entirely different setup to original brackets and mounts luckily I had all the parts including a original trans mount rubbers… Two spring cups and the main rubber mount. So question the kick down wire connected to the trans. I presume the will get its 12v from the switch on throttle asembly???and the vacuum line from rear of trans , I suppose the will go into a intake manifold port? I will let you all know the outcome. Cheers

So gentelmen. Update on the series one transmission. So today i started on the rest of the installation. Book up drive line, starter, torque converter bolts and cover plates. Booked up vacuum hose to transmission. Still trying to figure the word for the kick down i now it goes to the switch on the throttle linkage. But trying to figure out it’s home going to look in electrical schematics. So pretty much done except when I came to booking up shifter.cable no go way to long it seems the series one is shorter. The cable obviously is from xjs. So that’s two things different besides rear mounting brackets. So I removed cable going on morning to pick one up in San larenso.ca. 20 is dollars. So I’ll start back tommorow. On trans fluid type F i presume? I emptied all trans fluid from torque converter nice and red no dark it’s a rebuilt i got from a friend. It.has been replaced with.Ford clutches. We will.see how it drives. Thanks for all the advice. Now I have a trans and flexplate for sale with new rebuilt converter.and brackets. What is the value it’s a 65\66 light weight body trans anyone know what’s fair price? Cheers

Given this is a ‘12’ transmission, Sawyer; power to the kick-down solenoid terminal is routed through the kickdown switch. Which mechanically switches from ‘break’ to ‘make’ with the pedal in the kickdown position. Switch is adjusted with the pedal in kick-down position, using a test lamp. Likewise, the solenoid function can be tested by monetarily jumpwire from batt pos - a distinct click tells that the solenoid is operating…

As an aside; the vacuum control unit operate shifting based on manifold vacuum - which varies with pedal position and engine load. At light throttle the box upshifts to ‘3’ very quickly, and at low speed in ‘3’ the box will downshift by ‘moderate’ pedal action - without the help of the downshift solenoid…

Frank

Frank anderson… I used.a.test light with key in on position. The test light will light at full throttle. I connected it to the black and red wire to confirm throttle in side open confirms solenoid is engaging. I have not had the privileged to drive yet, has now I need to reconfigure exhaust has the exhaust hits the transmission pan. Someone has two separate pipes coming from manifolds, my series 1 requires a pipe where they both go into one has to allow for a right space. I have check Sng barrat they have one but can’t order until Monday until someone else might have one for free. I replaced the shifter cable it seems to work it will check for proper adjustment when able to start vehicle. So the only thing is to wait. Can anyone recommend a procedure when filling up transmission other then the procedure a read in my manual. I’m using type f fluid. The torque converter fluid has been drained and trans has new filter and gasket.

Follow the manual, Sawyer…:slight_smile:

The only uncertainty is the amount of fluid required, but I think ‘from empty’ is in the ball park in this case. Level adjustments are likely necessary, and can only be done with the engine running…

Frank