1973 XJ6 Right hand drive straight 6, but what size, car is automatic

Just be aware that the inlet manifold is unique to the ‘E’

Depending on what model E Type, you may find the bosses for engine mounting plates on the respective blocks differ. Early E Types had short stud engines , later ( S2 ) had the long stud motor. The early 4.2 as used in the Mk10 was mounted to the chassis, on the later 420G it mounted on the suspension crossmember and the mounts on the block altered to fit. S3 blocks will have this arrangement.

Yes, I am familiar with that, but this is British spec, and it looks like it would work, but I will have the inlet manifold from the 68, so just move the ‘good’ carbs over.

What about the sump? Are they different. The 73 has a rear sump already. Those mounting points may be the stumbling block to fit the engine. I have a good machine shop that can make mount brackets if need be.

Read my post, you need a new sump/oil pan and oil pump tubing.
Mount brackets I think you need.

What do you plan to do with the rest of the 73? Parts, break it, or keep it and install a new engine one day?

I will have all the ‘guts’ of the old engine, and can hope the pan did not get destroyed in the rod-throwing process. Can’t believe anyone could kill an old iron-bellied six that way. Must have run with no oil.

That, is the big question. I hate to break it apart. I know it needs paint and an interior makeover, but the car is solid. I think I could sell it without it’s heart. A real shame.

Of course, it would make a good basis for a lump (engine swap), but I have too many cars as it is, and don’t have any idea when I could get to that. I want to get back into an E-type while I am still alive. I had four of them in years past.

I feel the same way, to me it appears to be much easier to find a used engine only and don’t have a relatively nice car to dispose of without an engine, much lower value, and you don’t have to tear out the engine; saves work, and it doesn’t take up space for the time being. Here in Germany a decent working engine from a series 3 can be picked up for $700 plus a few for shipping. I imagine you have them a little cheaper. As you can keep most parts from the E you will not have to source too many items. You might need to have the block machined with the E type timing cover on, but not too many other costs I think.
Of course if the price is really good…

Besides: the S3 also has the more powerful big valve head, just plug the 6 air injection ports, you do not seem to be after originality but you like more power, right?
The twin SU should not be noticeably better they say than the Strombergs as long as you delete the secondaries which is very easy.

Plug the injection ports? Don’t the injectors mount to the inlet manifold? I believe the big port (S3) head is a straight swap with any XK provided you plug the extra water galleries at the back for early (3.4,3.8 and short stud 4,2 blocks. Cam covers need to be appropriate, some don’t have semi circular recess for tacho drives.

Nah, the US cars have that air injection rail that should be removed, holes plugged with grub screws… the rest applies. The fuel injectors are part of the manifold. In one situation the head gasket plugs the rear ports of a later head, easy to test.
In this case we‘re ideally swapping head and block and just change the sump, pump tubing, mounting brackets and everything that bolts on plus a few other things.

Thanks for responding, and I have decided to go ahead and buy the 73 XJ6, as I went and looked this morning and the car is complete, and the engine bay is all original. It has little rust and needs paint and upholstery but would make a great builder. It has the look that the newer versions lacked. Chrome bumpers and pre-pollution. I may not gut it for the engine, but keep in around a while. I was thinking that someone with ideas of an engine swap may want the car?

If it’s complete I wouldn’t tear it apart. Would be nice to have both E and XJ to compare, and you can fix up the XJ a little and enjoy that while the E is still in pieces, I think that would be nice. Congratulations on the car, you’ll find it great to work on.
For 600 you can’t go wrong, that’s true.
Engine-less cars where I live go for much less than with a broken engine. Good luck finding a usable block for the E, I’m sure there is plenty!

David, thanks for the encouragement. I am up in the air on borrowing the engine for the E that I don’t have yet anyway. I just wonder if I will ever get it, as it is a third party exchange. The only other RHD I ever had was a 67 Aston DB6, and it was fun to watch people pull up next to you and realize you were driving from the ‘wrong side’. Of course, I am going to have to source some interior pieces, or just get some seat covers for now.

I have an e type and a '72 XJ6. They are both quite magnificent in their own way. Knowing what I know try to keep both! FWIW. Paul (sad case).

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. Long time since I had an XJ6, and liked the first ones the best. This one deserves to be saved. I am a little concerned about the RHD. but the car is automatic so I won’t have to learn shifting with the left hand. I have an xk8 convert and an Xjs
coupe already. I am what they
call ‘over Jaguared’

I have an RHD S3 and a LHD S1, both 4.2 automatics and while the S3 runs and RHD is never a problem if you don’t mind missing out on doing drive ins, parking lots and overtaking alone, the 1969 is so much nicer to work on and I really like the interior as well, almost like the E, but nicer: you can feel how much E Type it is. I haven’t driven it yet, but I’m looking forward to do so.

If you search ebay and craigslist you will get an idea how much a exchange motor for the E would cost so you are prepared in case you also buy the E. As I said I am convinced that this is the superior solution.
Best of luck to you, and keep us updated on the XJ!

David: thanks for the info, and I went ahead and bought the 1973 and got it home. It is not running, as the gas line has been disconnected to save the carbs from possible trash in the lines and fuel tanks. First chance I plan on getting over there and ‘jugging’ the carbs to see if I can get it to run. It turns over easily, so I am optimistic. A closer look shows lots of issues with the body, but the chrome is all there and in very nice condition. Now to decide what to do: use the engine, or get this old girl running and have some fun.

Hey David,

you didn’t tell us - or have I just missed that - you had a “new” old car! Recently I understood you just had a chance to drive a SI 2.8! Congratulations!!! Keep us posted, send pics and take the car down to the lake! In 2007 a friend sold his white over red original Swiss car that he had restored over several years - maybe you stumbled across his old car and it gets back to the lake …

Best wishes

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)