1980 Series III - New to me, not the forum. A few questions

Frank,
My cold idle is still at 800 rpm (up from 500 after water temperature sensor replacement) and my hot idle is now at 800 rpm after adjusting it from about 500. Are you suggesting I may still have some other problem I have just masked? Any insight is much appreciated.
Sierk

The other problem, indicated by equal cold and hot idle, is that the AAV is not working, Sierk…

The sole purpose of the AAV is to allow extra air into the engine during cold starting and warm-up. This increases cold engine power to overcome cold engine drag, friction and thicker oil - ensuring a smooth start…

Check AAV function by removing the top air hose; cold it should be half open, and closed with the engine warm. Adjusting the idle with a malfunctioning AAV is not proper…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Sierk,
Yes, you were lucky when the wrench hit the floor. When I dropped the wrench it ended up in a variety of hard to reach areas, hence the wire and blue tape.
It sounds like you are making great progress and of course it is encouraging to hear you say that the car is now much more fun to use. Please post back when you have results in other areas or questions.
I never met Bruce Hugo in person, but I knew him for years through this Jag-Lovers list and I will miss his posts. Bruce helped me in many ways with my two Series III XJ6s and it is good to know that his XJ6 was handed off to someone like you who are interested in keeping it running and improving it. I feel a duty of sorts to continue to help you out in Bruce’s memory and I wouldn’t be surprised if others feel the same way.
Good luck with your XJ6 and keep us posted on your progress and issues as the arise.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas
1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible
1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

Sierk,
Jaguar refers to the Extra Air Valve (EAV) in the Series III XJ6 equipped with the six cylinder 4.2L XK engine and Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) also as the Auxiliary Air Valve in some reference documents. I am sure that they did that just to confuse us. :wink: The Jaguar part numbers are EAC2536 or EAC3883. Attached are two pictures, one showing the EAV closed and the other with the EAV open. I took the pictures of an EAV that I removed from one of my spare 4.2L XK engines. The pictures are taken of the bottom of the valve as if looking up from the bottom of the car. The view is pretty much the same from the top. The connector provides 12VDC to a heater inside the EAV to assist in heating it up and opening the valve. I have tested one off the car and the EAV opened without the 12VDC applied to the connector but it opened more quickly with the 12VDC. The EAV normally gets it’s heat from the coolant rail as the coolant heats up but I suppose that the electrical heater inside is a back up or assist to coolant heat.

Regards,
Paul M. Novak
1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas
1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible
1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

Paul,
Thank you. Funny, I never knew Bruce, but have enjoyed his posts posthumously. The car is in remarkable condition, probably the nicest condition of any hobby car I have had. I feel more of a custodian then an owner. It won’t see rain - which is saying something in the PNW. I have had many hobby cars; British, German, Italian, Swedish, Japanese, and even a couple of American cars, all have left my ownership in better condition that when I got them - that’s part of the fun of the hobby - I have lost money on every single one of them :slight_smile: . Bruce’s car is hard to improve on, but I still hope it will be in even better condition when I pass it on some day. Thanks again for all the help from all of you.
Sierk

Bruce was a wonderful guy and my best friend. I’m sure you would’ve enjoyed knowing him.

A few random-order, stream-of-consciousness tidbits about the car from my memory banks…which are not always 100% reliable :). If you been reading the archive you may have already learned this stuff.

The color is Brazila (Brazilla?) Brown…which is unusual. The car was repainted circa 2003 at Bud Clary Chevrolet n Longview, Washington. As I recall there was zero rust around the front and rear screens…a rare thing! The car was stripped to bare metal

The tweed-like cloth upholstery was done at a shop in Portland. Can’t remember the name of the shop but it has been around for decades. They did a nice job but you may have notice a couple of pleats on the rear seat don’t line up properly.

The cruise control is an Audiovox kit. The factory installed cruise control was kaput but I can’t remember the specifics of the fault. I think the pick-up sensor at the driveshaft didn;t work and we couldn’t find a replacement.

The sunroof is an aftermarket unit installed by (I think) American Sunroof for the the selling dealer. I can’t remember if it ever worked during Bruce’s onwership; I don’t think so, though.

The XJS wheels are there because the original steel wheels were bent. Bruce kept them and the handsome wheel covers for years; not sure who has them now.

Bruce was especially proud of modifying the front marker lamps to flash with the turn signals. He was also enamored with the 7-inch, ‘city light’ type headlights. The fog lights, if they’re still there, were once on my Series III. They were from an ‘official’ Jaguar accessory kit.

The power antenna was an aftermarket unit. I think it was installed about the same time the car was repainted.

The dashboard is the “Vanden Plas” style. I think pics of the installation are in the photo archives.

The bulk of the work on the car was done circa 2003-2008 as I recall. For many years it really never needed any repairs to speak of. Just routine servicing.

Bruce installed brand new fuel injectors and injector harness early on. I think the radiator was a a brand new Jaguar item as well…but I’m not 100% sure on that.

All calipers and rotors were replaced but, again, that was quite some time ago. The water pump was also replaced with a new Jaguar unit sourced from Ebay. Front suspension bushings, upper and lower ball joints, and shocks were replaced. The shocks are Boge as I recall. The differential output shafts were replaced with rebuilt assemblies. The brake booster was replaced…probably with a new Jaguar booster, knowing Bruce. For a long time he enjoyed finding new OEM Jaguar parts on Ebay and Craigslist.

There was a time, a few years ago, when the AC blew cold. I suspect it’s just low on freon.

The angle drive for the speedometer cable was replaced 2 or 3 times due to noise and jumpy speedo needle. He could find only used replacements.

The tear in the LH side of the console occurred when I was removing the seat.

The hood insulating pad came from Coventry West. I recall that Bruce had the exhaust manifold shield ceramic coated. The compressor heat shield was hand made from a sheet of exhaust manifold gasket material.

That’s all I can think of at the moment. Will blurt out more if and when the memories strike.

Bruce would be happy that the car is in good hands. He enjoyed the car a lot.

Cheers
DD

Be very careful about transmission fluid leaks. A fellow club member here with an XJ6C lost the car to a fire caused by transmission fluid leaking out and igniting on a very hot exhaust system.

OOh… yikes! well mine leaks only if I don’t drive it for a period of time. But that is the least of my worries I’m pretty sure I’ve got a spun rod bearing as well as a blown head gasket.

The series 3 XJ6 was introduced in the US in March 1979 as a 1979 and a half model. That was what the owner of a Damson red car told us when he sold his to my father at the end of a lease in November 1982. Although the body panels were strictly series 3, many interior items had the look of the series 2. I do remember reading Brice Hugo’s posts regarding his (and now your) car, and they brought back fond memories of driving my father’s car when I used to visit him in New York, as well as in Belgium after 1991, when he spent more time there and had it shipped there, and driven until 1997, when the ECU stopped working, at which point he decided he had ‘had enough.’ His car also had the unusual steel wheels with chrome covers like the ones which used to reside on Bruce’s car. Years later, in 2015, on a visit to Belgium, I spotted a series 2 XJ6 parked on a boulevard in Brussels. It was the same dark brown (sable?) color as Bruce’s with a biscuit interior. Of course I had to take a closer look. The owner walked out of a store nearby and asked me if I’d like to have a closer look at the interior. I thanked him, then asked if he was aware that his wheel covers came from a series 3 car. He said he’d only owned the car for a year, and the previous owner had lived in Antwerp, and mentioned he obtained some parts from a dealership there which had parted out an old XJ6 which had been brought over from the US some years earlier. At that point, I began to laugh. He wanted to know what I found so funny, at which point I told him he was driving on my father’s car’s wheel covers, then I retold the story. What a strange coincidence. I hope you do enjoy many pleasurable years with your car as well.

Thanks for the random thoughts. Its great to have light shed on some of the things I’ve wondered about. The aftermarket cruise no longer works - and I’m not sure I want to tackle the repair of the factory one if it stumped you two. Thanks for the info on the AC. It doesn’t work but as you said - probably just needs to be recharged - you don’t happen to know if it was ever converted over to r134?

The radio antenna motor is not working - I think I can just replace that with a generic aftermarket motor. I am on the fence with the xjs wheels - they look really good, but I also have two sets of steel wheels that came with the car along with I think four sets of the hub caps - some for the xj6 and some for the vanden plas which I think is all stainless - without the black centers. I will have to see if I can get the steel wheels straightened…a wobble would drive me crazy - I’ve had that issue with other older steel wheels and they become impossible to balance.

I live just down the road in Vancouver, Washington - maybe we will run into each other some time.
Sierk

MRCHB,
What a great story! I have four sets of those hub caps which came with the car.
Sierk.

Thanks. Hold on to them, they are very rare these days…