1980 XJ6 fuel tank removal

I know, here we go again!
So I have read a million threads, some with helpful pics and some with interesting tips, that have helped a lot. BUT,
I’m at the point where I have to remove the lower forward bolt. Do I really have to take off the aft silencer to get at this bolt??
The tunnel where the silencer is locate is surrounded but a stiff heat shield thats screwed in position and I dont see anyway to get the screws out w/o removing the silencer.
Am I missing something?
Thanks
Bobmo

Never mind,
I did a lot of prestidigitation with some needle nose vise grips and got the screws out.
Then the shield slipped down and I am now able to get to the last bolt

The adventure continues.
Bobmo

Bob,
I have removed nine Series III XJ6 fuel tanks and I have always removed the rear mufflers (silencers) in order to do that. I don’t know of any way to remove a fuel tank without removing the rear muffler, but I suppose that it is possible that someone else has found a way.
With the rear muffler out of the way it is also easier to access some of the rubber hoses which will likely be hardened and cracked if they are original and 40 years old now on your 1980 XJ6.

Paul

They say it is possible leaving the muffler in place, but I think it is hard enough as it is and having more space makes threading the fastener back in much easier.
I did it once, on the floor, and will avoid it for the rest of my life. It is worth trying, but reorienting the muffler was easier than fighting the tank for me. Good luck.

I have beaten on the muffler for hours yesterday, and it will not budge, So I think I will take a chance on working in the blind behind the dropped shield.

I have a lift so life is much easier than rolling around on the ground.

Have I mentioned I LOVE my lift.

BEST money I ever invested in, and if they had existed when I was younger I might have gone on a much different career path.

Thanks

Bobmo

For what it’s worth, I just completed removing my fuel tank and tried to leave the muffler in place and remove the heat shield and cracked it. It is no longer available and seems difficult to find from salvage. The exhaust pipe is easily obtained, however.
Wait till you see what’s in that fuel tank!
Good luck.
Doug

The heat shield is just a piece of sheet metal, isn’t it? Can’t you just fab one?

No, asbestos or pressed fiber. Like fiber board. Brittle. Fabbing one would work.

Kirby,
I believe that the heat shields are made of asbestos and they require careful handling especially if broken. I usually wear a face mask when handling them.

Paul

1 Like

You can leave the heat shield in the tunnel.
It will slide down till it hits the top of the muffler,
The last tank bolt is easily accessible through the wheel well. take the tire off for even more room.
Next drama is how to get the upper tank fitting off, through that too small rectangular opening.
I cant get the tank close enough or far away enough for any of my tube or crowsfoot wrenches to get a good grip.
Before the metal saw comes out, I thought I’d ask this esteemed group, whats the trick.
Thanks again
Bobmo

Huh, how?

I left the pipe connection in place and struggled for a bit. It is possible that I rotated the pipe so I could remove the tank. The worst thing is the filler neck, fitting the evap hose.

You can access the last bolt by reaching right though there below the fuel tank solenoid. In this picture the shield is dropped and sitting on the muffler.
this is the left tank, and the bolt head is just to the right.
A full size ratchet will fit nicely and give you the leverage to break it free.
after that a stubby ratchet will work.
Thanks
Bobmo

Oh sorry. I was thinking of the spare! This will work, you‘re right. In fact this is how I did it, but back in I couldn’t start the bolt and went in from below with the exhaust out.
Thanks,
David

When I took my tanks out BOBMO, I had the same issue with that fitting in the boot. I took the flex hose off and slid a box-end wrench on over the tube and onto the nut. The tube might have to be tweaked very slightly, but nothing harmful. I had a low tolerance for trying to wrestle the tanks out without removing that fitting, so I was motivated.

Dave

Brilliant!
Thanks
I get in the mode of using all the special flare and tube-nut tools, I forget to just use the offset box wrench.
Bobmo

Don’t be too hard on yourself, there’s a reason both types of wrench’s are made. The best tool for the job is the one that works.

Dave