1982 Horn Sounds Nonstop

horn sounds none stop replaced relay removed horn pad still going as soon as key turned on any ideas where to start thanks in advance John

On the inner steering column shaft there are a couple metallic (brass?) contract rings for the horn circuit. One of them might’ve slipped out of place, causing a constant ground.

I’v never had to deal with this issue myself…but others have. They’;; offer more and better advice

Cheers
DD

This implies a fault inside the steering column, John…

From the relay; a wire connects to a brass ‘finger’ which connects to a slipring on the steering column. First step is to visually inspect that the finger, or relay wire, does not short to ground…

The slipring is connected insulated, but a spring loaded pin, also insulated, is connected through a hole in the inner shaft to a bass rod, inside the shaft, also insulated. The rod runs inside the shaft up a separate short brass rod (also insulated) in the upper shaft. The end of this short rod abuts the horn ring - which when pressed connects the path described to ground in the steering wheel.

Any short, failed insulation, anywhere in the path described activates the horn relay as ign is turned on. The short may be anywhere - and only stripdown of the steering column can locate the problem.

There are no spare parts for remedial actions. Safety regulation at the time dictated that the steering column must not be repaired, but replaced - so no spare parts could be made available…

However, repairs are usually possible with some ingenuity - but require column removal, and some ‘nous’ in dismantling and reassembly.

The ‘easy’ solution’ is a replacement column - irritating for a fault which involves parts that would cost pennies…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Many thanks will investigate in the next few days will let you know how I go regards John

On another forum (I read of using shrink tubing on the brass rods, to replace failed insulation…

Carl

Continuing the discussion from 1982 Horn Sounds Nonstop:

HI Frank the first copper pin has a backing paper second one does`nt do you know if thats the norm1553647340014 have uploaded photos to try and help many thanks John

Which copper pins, John…?

Frank

The two copper ones that touch the steering column

Usually only one is used, John - have you traced either to the horn relay?

Point is that the horn relay activates when ground is applied. The ‘paper’ mentioned may be used as insulation, for whatever reason - though there should be continuity between the relay and the slipring. But no relay ground unless the horn button is activated…

You could also remove the horn ring to see if there is a ground fault upstairs. Any short to ground between the horn button and the relay will sound the horn…

Frank

Checked wires pulled rod from inside steering column something worked had horn right for couple of hours then back to square one have a feeling the cheap Relay I brought may have seized open do you think this could be possible

Relays may fail closed, John - disconnect, at the relay, the wire to the slipring - effectively disconnecting any ground faults. If the horn still works continuously; change the relay and bless your luck…:slight_smile:

There are one short rod inside the upper shaft and one linger one inside the lower shaft. The upper rod fits outside the lower rod - allowing it to slide up and down when steering wheel height is adjusted.

This upper rod, ‘spear’ is easily pulled out, as you did - but some care is required when reinserted to slide it onto the lower rod. An insulator at the end of the short rod centres and insures both rods when connected. The short rod seldom cause problems - but as the lower rod is slightly moved when the ‘spear’ is manipulated, a temporary fix may occur…

The lower rod is fitted inside the hollow lower shaft - held centred by a triangular insulator at the bottom. Any electric contact between the rod and the shaft metal is a relay ground - blowing the horn. It may be a bent rod, contamination inside the shaft or whatever…

Near the bottom of the shaft there is a hole. Insulated inside this hole is an insulated spring loaded pin - one end abutting the rod - the other end abutting the slipring. Which is insulated and connected to the horn relay; all parts forming an insulated path from relay to horn push…

The most common problem is insulation failure at the rod, spring or slipring - insulation are plastic parts that gets frail over years…

To access the lower rod, the upper shaft/steering wheel must be removed. But apart from turning the lower rod and/or pulling it a couple of millimetres up - there is not much to be done without dismantling the steering column.

Theoretically, looking into the hollow lower shaft may reveal debris/contamination between the rod and shaft with the upper shaft removed, but don’t put your shirt on such an easy cure…:slight_smile:

Frank

John:

I’ve used relays often. some expensive, some cheap and some in between. Only once that I recall did one fail. And that was because it slipped out of it’s rack and onto a hot pipe and a hole melted in the plastic case, and it stuck open. It was the fuel pump relay. The engine quit and we came home on a flat bed, only a few blocks away!!!

Kinda neat In ways. Easily found and another relay plugged in and all was well. I did provide more security for it to stay in place!!

The other was a peek inside to see the teeny coil that is energized to close the circuit . Minituization (sp) at it’s best.

In your case. try another relay. And, as a side line learn the function and develop a test. Clues" Load and trigger circuits. Meter or lamp. source of 12 volts. S57 Jaguar schematic…

Check the top of your relay, any markings to denote function?

Carl…

Seems relay ok, think problem is with the brass rod inside column will leave for now as I’m away for couple of weeks will have look at it when I get back,will be in touch many thanks for your help regards John

I had nightmarish problems with my 80 xj6 shortly after I bought it… many years ago,
I do remember that most of them went away when I ripped out all the ‘alarm’ wiring.
Not sure how your security system works, but if beeps the horn, I’d look at that wire.
Bobmo