1982 XJ6: Vacuum hoses - What is this, where does it plug into?

It’s a 1982 Jaguar xj6 i don’t know where the a box is

I think that where the hose goes…just cap if off for now so you dont get vaccuum stumble

Do you know where the air box is ?

Needless to say, probably a good time to replace all the vacuum hoses.

Happy to report I currently am! That’s why I posted it I just don’t know where to put a new one too? Any ideas

Check vacuum on the line, Josiah - it makes a difference whether it reads manifold or other vacuum…

You can also check which important connections has lost vacuum, like AC vacuum reservoir, distributor. Then there are more exotic connections depending on market and equipment levels - a PO may have cut the line to removed items. No great loss then - but the cut line should be plugged, while you are musing…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Not sure why it is all the way over by the throttle body but the cut hose is connected to a thing called the distributor vacuum regulator. Actually has three hoses and clean it off so you can see markings on it. Here is how vacuum should be set up and a very cheap and satisfying project to replace all vac hoses.

1 Like

I think Randy pegged it. The vacuum regulator. It’s normally under the intake manifold. Here’s an illustration

Cheers
DD

If that’s the hose broken, this car should start getting much better fuel economy once corrected!

Bear in mind the market differences in dist vacuum, Doug - ‘manifold’ versus ‘ported’ vacuum. This relates to initial ign advance settings - so vacuum at the hose in question should be checked…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (9UK/NZ)

That’s exactly it, David - vacuum diagrams are different depending on market, model year and equipment level. One size certainly doesn’t fit all - and house routing may vary, apart from possible PO interference…:slight_smile:

Frank

The point of a manifold drain is indeed arguable, David; leaving it open it will drain - and as it is not connected to the vacuum system, and will not feed anything into that. The vacuum leak caused by an open drain is minimal, and easily compensated for - as others have said. Blocking a drain; it will not drain, but I’m uncertain as to the positive, or negative, effects of that - Jaguar must have had some reason for it…? :slight_smile:

Frank

Won’t it hiss?

I’d also be a bit concerned about it sucking dirty air into the engine.

I’m not concerned about hissing but about staining my driveway and the vacuum leak. In theory, I only want to see oil on my driveway.

Well, you’re consistent.

It has to be plugged in my opinion. Hose with a screw works a treat. Remove the plug when something has collected inside and you want to clean that out. I assume it was reserved for fuel injector failures and severe cases of oil accumulation.