1983 jaguar xjs wiper arm

My 1983 jag xjs has wiper arms with the hooked or u shaped ends so not original. I think they are a bit longer than stock because the driver side outer tip of the blade rests on the window frame a bit on parking. I don’t find that a problem though as during regular running it doesn’t hit the A pillar.

I need a passenger side arm as mine is wallowed out. Not looking to put foil in to build it up, just need a good arm. It seems that both arms are identical at least on mine. I read where there might be a taper issue with different arms. Sigh. I am seriously thinking of ordering a set of arms from ebay. 1986 Jaguar listing looks like the ones I have. but of course there is no side by side comparison. I was hoping that with all the knowledge here someone might have tried different arms to different years for fitment for others in need.

I have the driver side tight so I am happy with it. The passenger side arm is wallowed out and not useable.

Anyone?

Thanks

Russ

Hi Russ,My 88 also has wiper arms with the “hook” shaped ends, and I know they are original.
The LHS arm is DAC 3438, and is straight.
The RHS arm is DAC 3437, and has a slight bend . Both are available if you search, and I think they both originally were meant for the Lucas motor.
Hope that helps. Dave.
BTW, I use a shorter blade on the LHS, which clears the windshield trim nicely.

Russ,
There are different part numbers depending on which side they park, as I recall. There’s some discussion about them in my write-up on retrofitting an Electrolux system to my early XJ-S. See my website.

I bought a pair from JagBits.com just to be sure I had the ones for the Electrolux. They are very good about tracking down things like that.

Ed

Sorry to say, that’s how the OEM wipers work. On my '83, I deliberately shortened and cranked the driver’s side arm to get it to quit doing that!

Thanks again.

My parts book shows 3 arms. Each has 2 numbers and it does show RHD and LHD arms. The first arm isn’t designated as right or left hand drive and is shown to be a straight arm. 2 numbers DAC2659 (112058 and DAC3438 (112059) . The arm for a LHD car has the numbers DAC2859 (112058) and DAC3437 (112059) It shows the arm with a bend close to the tip where the blade is installed and again, with holes for peg mounted blades. The other arm is for a RHD car.

My car has either been retro fitted at the factory or by the previous owner with arms that have a ‘U’ shape for a more modern fit and probably a later model but not sure which. I am guessing the latter. I guess mine could even be off an XJ6 or 12 possibly.

Now, do any of you know if the ends with the splines are different from my year car to a later version, say 2 to 4 years older? I would like to know before ordering a used set off an 86 model on ebay. Once again making things too complicated.

Dave, you said your 88 has the same arm type as mine. Was yours supposed to have the older peg and hole type arm and blade or the “hook” shape ends? I wish I could pull a few off various years and models to see how they all differ and conclusively find what fits my 83 XJS.

Thanks again

Russ, I can’t answer your questions conclusively- as far as originality is concerned. The PO of my car did not replace parts that were not needed, Spline difference- I don’t know.
Maybe the guy that owns “Everyday XJ” could advise.