1984 Wood Panels

The veneer that I have seen was cut rolling the log… If you look you can see the line where the book matched are joined… My xjs shows it on the glove box…

Yes I knew what you were saying and seen the seam before you pointed it out. As to technique sliced individually or continuously by rolling the log is going to be determined by species and size.
I have some cherry flooring that a local company laminated for me about 400 square feet and he used a single flitch of veneer which was one logs worth of veneer

I was really fortunate, when I first bought my XJ-S the ski slop was basically cracked, missing pieces and in general disrepair. It was so many years ago (I can barely remember), but I found this guy who lived in Quebec who sent me a ski slope, I think I paid about $300 , site unseen. I’m not even sure what type of wood it is but it looks like he used quite a bit more of some varnish (shellac) which is holding up well and a fairly good match. I’ll have to dig through all my old receipts. I think he did an awesome job for what I needed at the time.

k. I guess none of my Jags had/have that type of veneer. :open_mouth:

Jerry Peck posted a great tutorial in Sep 2016 in XJS about his re-veneering in his XJS.
Because he intended it to be shared, I will attach that pdf he created. Gunnar, I don’t think I am violating any of our rules…if I have I apologize in advance.
Wood Trim Repair.pdf (2.5 MB)

This is really awesome. Thanks!

GEEZ … seems like a heck of a lot of work, and what are you supposed to do if you actually have areas where the veneer is gone (i.e. chipped and flaked off)? :grimacing:

I’d just find some used pieces that are in better shape for sale … or go with that top-quality vinyl kit I mentioned earlier. :man_shrugging: At least, until I win the Lotto and can buy brand new pieces. :laughing:

if the veneer is gone in places, the only way is to take off every remaining bits, then refit a new veneer sheet, trying to match the color, then varnish it with A LOT of thin coats

This is the Ebay vendor I was talking about earlier. Quite impressive, IMHO, and only $170 for the entire (12 piece?) interior set. :open_mouth: Note also that it only uses 3-M “sticky” on the back to hold the pieces in place (like on the factory boot lid and front fender emblems), so no damage is done to the original veneer pieces and they can removed w/o damaging them later on, should the desire arise. My only question is which of the offered colors/styles is closest to our OEM “Burl Walnut”? :confused: btw, these are only for pre-facelifts (and '92, such as my Superblack). IIRC, I had asked them some time ago about whether they have a set available for post-facelift models, which turns out they did not (at least back then). :slightly_frowning_face: Superblue’s are finally starting to show their age:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184505079316?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Seems legit and then you get a complete match. Thanks for the link. Heck and if someone buys the kit and doesn’t like it, can re-list on e-bay

Speaking of which, I still have my set for recovering the front seats of a '95-'96 XJS, in LEG (warm charcoal) color, that I bought from a top-quality Ebay vendor many years ago. I never got the chance to put them on Supercat (my '95 4.0 coupe) as she was totaled out by another driver before I could do so. :sob: :angry: I paid $500 for them, but would take $300, if anyone is interested. They are still in the box they came in. Just PM me.

Wow! Great piece of info, Kirbert, and no, Jaguar probably could’ve never afford to match that $$style$$ . . .

When I got my 1994 V12 Coupe, the previous owner had painted the ski slope with black crinkle paint and I thought it was original, but what did I know then.
Soon after that I saw some of the paint had chipped showing burl-wood underneath.
I used a piece of plexiglass to scrape off the rest of the paint and the wood was in perfect nic.
She also painted some of the other interior leather panels flat black but they did not clean up.

Dang! Hate to hear that. When I was reading your post my first impression was that the PO had removed wood rather than repair wood, and then painted metal. Painting the wood is freaky

An 84 XJS would have come with a black vinyl covered ski slope, not wood. They didn’t start using wood on the ski slopes til several years later. Maybe she was trying to replicate the original look?

Not the case, she was into Goth.
Just misguided.